• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Netgear Nighthawk R7000

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Netgear Nighthawk R7000

This has been sitting gathering dust since Christmas, so I thought I would get connected and see if it helps the BB around the hoose.

Why the fook did I bother? Tested the speed *beforehand* lappy wifi and it was 108Mbps down 12Mbps up, which isn't too bad (VirginMedia)

Now after getting it working it hasn't gone over 30mbps down (up is still the same). Tonight it was 11!!!

Looked on Netgear site and seems to be a known issue, but all suggestions haven't worked.

Before it goes in the bin, anyone have the same issue and more importantly resolve it?

qh
    Last edited by quackhandle; 14 February 2017, 22:40. Reason: added a bit
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Shouldn't it be going back as not fit for purpose? I'm assuming you are selecting a channel which isn't busy and tried a wired connection for comparison?

I get 30-35mbps which is pretty good for a rural location but it drops out for about a minute 3-4 times a day for a couple of minutes. This wasn't a major problem but I have to watch BT sport using it and also Netflix seems to not buffer, so the kids using Youtube and the on demand services (apart from Netflix) seem to buffer enough to carry on uninterrupted. it also affects anything cast to the TV even though it never leaves the local network.

Comment

What is your setup, are you using it as AP only or as router too, do you still have the VM router in front of it? The lower speed is it just affecting WiFi or wired as well?

Comment

I turned the Virgin Superhub 2 to modem only mode and connected the Nighthawk router. I've tested with wired as well as wifi and I'm getting crap speeds. Gonna give Netgear a call as you get free support for 90 days from purchase date.

I'm not an expert at this, there's probably something I'm missing.

qh

Comment

Netgear aren't doing well in the news at the mo either. google 'netgear exploits' and check your settings.

Comment

Doesn't really help you, but when we moved house I invested in Ubiquiti gear. Proper router/firewall, a proper PoE switch and a proper Access Point. Wasn't the cheapest thing I've done, but it went in last August and I've not had a blip of trouble. No more resets, no more random tulipty speed issue, no disappearing SSID's or any of that other crap associated with consumer grade gear.

Comment

Originally posted by vwdan View Post
              Doesn't really help you, but when we moved house I invested in Ubiquiti gear. Proper router/firewall, a proper PoE switch and a proper Access Point. Wasn't the cheapest thing I've done, but it went in last August and I've not had a blip of trouble. No more resets, no more random tulipty speed issue, no disappearing SSID's or any of that other crap associated with consumer grade gear.
              Sounds like a plan, what was the actual router you bought? AP AC Lite? And where did you buy from?

qh

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
                Sounds like a plan, what was the actual router you bought? AP AC Lite? And where did you buy from?

qh
                Ubiquity don't have WiFi routers - they offer network routers and Access Points separately AP AC Lite should be enough for most homes in terms of WiFi coverage, for router you need something like this. That's what i'm using.

Bear in mind that Ubiquiti are not exactly consumer and are more SOHO and run "proper" OS which is getting on par with cisco's IOS. Even with the web GUI the router is more complex to setup than a consumer product as it expects you are familiar with routing/switching. Great forum community can help you with questions.

Comment

Working...
                X