• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Audit software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Awkward View Post
    potential new contract will require me to complete an audit of IT equipment at various sites.

So rather than attending every device to manually audit. I want to deploy some decent (& free ideally) audit software onto a local DC
    and automate the process. So I can produce a report from each site as to what equipment is on site.

Would like to capture make & model of pc/laptop serian numbers so I can check if still in warrenty, software installed.

Does anybody have experience of doing a similar task & can you recommend a good audit product that will be capable of my goal.

Thanks
    Audit software that can capture relevant info from devices over the network typically requires you to deploy a client on every end point, or for those end points to have WMI enabled.

Either of those is going to need you to work with local IT support to get them installed or enabled so you need to make sure the client is aware of this and ready for it.

If their InfoSec guys are up to scratch or they have a half decent change management process in place then don't expect it to happen overnight.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

You missed a vital detail - Were you asked to audit the state of known devices, or discover all devices in the DC/estate or both?

For windows environment your best bet is PowerShell & WMI, quick and painless.

For *nix i sincerely hope Client Co is using a combination of Puppet/Chef/Ansible/Salt that should be your first point of reference.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        You missed a vital detail - Were you asked to audit the state of known devices, or discover all devices in the DC/estate or both?

For *nix i sincerely hope Client Co is using a combination of Puppet/Chef/Ansible/Salt that should be your first point of reference.
        There's also network devices, LOMs, printers etc to consider of the OP has been challenged with devices such as those. From memory I used SNMP in the past, suspect things have moved on now though...

Comment

Give or take knackered patch cables and ports not showing you pieces of kit up, that could be fun. If you're being paid T&M to do the audit, buy a new pair of comfy shoes, order a polo shirt, work pants and fleece with your company logo on and get wandering.
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
            Give or take knackered patch cables and ports not showing you pieces of kit up, that could be fun. If you're being paid T&M to do the audit, buy a new pair of comfy shoes, order a polo shirt, work pants and fleece with your company logo on and get wandering.
            Early days I did the same at Hunterston B and Torness power stations, all sorts of gadgets connected to PC's, no idea what they were or even if it was safe to touch them! Serial and parallel attached......

All I had was a notepad (paper one) and an Excel spreadsheet back at the office in East Kilbride....

Happy days, eh!??

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              Early days I did the same at Hunterston B and Torness power stations, all sorts of gadgets connected to PC's, no idea what they were or even if it was safe to touch them! Serial and parallel attached......

All I had was a notepad (paper one) and an Excel spreadsheet back at the office in East Kilbride....

Happy days, eh!??
              Correct. If something's not powered on, or is in a cupboard in storage, but not within IT, how can you detect it over the network? Never underestimate how sneaky some people are when it comes to kit going missing.
              The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                There's also network devices, LOMs, printers etc to consider of the OP has been challenged with devices such as those. From memory I used SNMP in the past, suspect things have moved on now though...
                Yep, that's why I asked the question. Because if it's a discovery of all connected devices, there is no way in hell to do that remotely and being even remotely accurate. The only way is rolled up sleeves and crawling under desks.

Comment

Yep, that's why I asked the question. Because if it's a discovery of all connected devices, there is no way in hell to do that remotely and being even remotely accurate. The only way is rolled up sleeves and crawling under desks.
                  OP says the task is to "complete an audit of IT equipment". It mentions nothing about the power status of said equipment. Get your clipboard, pen and kneepads out fella!

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
                    Audit software that can capture relevant info from devices over the network typically requires you to deploy a client on every end point, or for those end points to have WMI enabled.

Either of those is going to need you to work with local IT support to get them installed or enabled so you need to make sure the client is aware of this and ready for it.

If their InfoSec guys are up to scratch or they have a half decent change management process in place then don't expect it to happen overnight.
                    Exactly this - I am sure where we are it took 5 years to do - about 2500 items of kit spread over 1000 sites in england, scotland, wales and NI.

it can be a complete pita

Also ensure any new kit which gets sent out has the correct build to allow for automating gathering this info otherwise you just never get anywhere.

Comment

used this before

Order Asset Tracker for Networks

wasn't terrible, used to be very cheap.

we have SCCM now and of course no one knows what we have got.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X