• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Audit software

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Audit software

potential new contract will require me to complete an audit of IT equipment at various sites.

So rather than attending every device to manually audit. I want to deploy some decent (& free ideally) audit software onto a local DC
    and automate the process. So I can produce a report from each site as to what equipment is on site.

Would like to capture make & model of pc/laptop serian numbers so I can check if still in warrenty, software installed.

Does anybody have experience of doing a similar task & can you recommend a good audit product that will be capable of my goal.

Thanks

Don't you think this gig might not be the one for you?
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

There's a list of what you could use here - Best Audit Software | 2017 Reviews of the Most Popular Systems

Current client uses a piece of software called dshostchecker which is set to auto run. I'm not sure what the reporting is like out of it, but I know that I kill it every morning from slowing my machine down.
      First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Don't you think this gig might not be the one for you?
        Don't you ever get bored with having to reply to every thread even if it's only to make sarky comments that add no value?
        First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
          Don't you ever get bored with having to reply to every thread even if it's only to make sarky comments that add no value?
          Nah he doesn't.

The comments can be funny though...
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

29900 comments and counting, what do you think

Comment

Think of it as contractor training for when you work with the permies.

Good luck.

qh
              He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

With Powershell and WMI it shouldn't be too difficult. You will find some code on Github and Codeplex. For personal use I've used Belarc Advisor, they don't licence it for corporate use but they have slightly different paid for options.

Comment

Well apparently you don't!

However, I do think awkward's question is perfectly reasonable. Funny though. Equipment audits I've observed have been typically carried out using students
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Hell no. Best bit about the forum. If I didn't pr1 wouldn't be able to do any trolling anyway.

And I think it is a perfectly reasonable. Having to ask about software to do a gig he's being paid top dollar for as an expert? The software is the easy bit. He's forgetting the point about whether a client will allow free software he knows nothing about on their system that's going to do network wide investigations which I would have thought was his main problem.
                    Last edited by northernladuk; 15 February 2017, 09:01.
                    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X