• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Newer Kindles

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Newer Kindles

I've a trusty old Kindle Keyboard + 3g which is arguably my favourite gadget. I keep looking at newer models and the choice is much wider now (Paperwhite/Voyager/Oasis) yet I'm unsure which if any offers a better experience. Other than the lack of back-lit screen for reading in bed without disturbing the wife, is there much point upgrading?

I'm also wondering if I'd miss the keyboard, something about touch-screen on a Kindle puts me off but I'm not sure why.

Anyone done a comparison or traded up to the newer models and care to share your thoughts?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I've a trusty old Kindle Keyboard + 3g which is arguably my favourite gadget. I keep looking at newer models and the choice is much wider now (Paperwhite/Voyager/Oasis) yet I'm unsure which if any offers a better experience. Other than the lack of back-lit screen for reading in bed without disturbing the wife, is there much point upgrading?

I'm also wondering if I'd miss the keyboard, something about touch-screen on a Kindle puts me off but I'm not sure why.

Anyone done a comparison or traded up to the newer models and care to share your thoughts?
    My missus had the original with keyboard - but she broke it! So I got her a paper white.....

she has not missed the keyboard at all - but she purely uses it as an e reader - e.g. it's just an electronic book she never uses any other functions

So really up to you.

ever thought of just getting a tablet and get the kindle app

try one of these

Chuwi Hi10 Pro review | cheap Windows tablet | cheap Android tablet - Review - PC Advisor

Comment

Already got a tablet, reading on it is not the same at all so definitely an e-reader.

Comment

Already got a tablet, reading on it is not the same at all so definitely an e-reader.
        Well it's the same in that it works a bit like a book!

But yes I get your meaning.

I normally read using my phone - but as i get older I can see less so rather than go for a kindle I want for a droid tablet and downloaded the kindle app - works for me but each to their own!

Comment

Originally posted by original PM View Post
          Well it's the same in that it works a bit like a book!

But yes I get your meaning.

I normally read using my phone - but as i get older I can see less so rather than go for a kindle I want for a droid tablet and downloaded the kindle app - works for me but each to their own!
          True.......

The old ways are the best ways, that's for sure

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I'm a reet tech nerd but can't get on with kindles and ebooks etc

I buy seccy hand proper books from Abebooks for as low as 1p, sometimes free postage. Got an immaculate copy of 'Sophies Welt', immaculate, hardback for 1p all in for the missus.

She's still not even started it...

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              'Sophies Welt'
              Is that a typo of a rather racy novel?

Comment

Is that a typo of a rather racy novel?
                'Sophie's World' in German. By Jostein Gartner or something, she reads In German cos she needs fluent German for her job.

It's not racy, it's about a child discovering philosophy via these letters left in her letter box.

It's quite good.

I'm reading some Gurdjieff at the moment, deeeeeep.....

Comment

Went from an original Kindle to a Paperwhite a while back and haven't looked back. The only problem I've had is if you doze off with your finger on the touchscreen you're liable to end up several pages further on or further back (depending on which finger...) than the one you were reading. Other than that, it's finem and the on-screen keyboard is no worse than the original button-driven one.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

The Wife (tm) had a 2nd gen Kindle, but the battery was starting to go on it. Last year I got her a Voyage.
                    It's smaller, lighter and has a better quality screen that is easier to read, so it goes everywhere with her. Great for holidays, etc and has got her to read a lot more.
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                    X