• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MBP now, or later ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    Well, blow me! Same amount of RAM I have inside my Windows lap top (32GB).

Shame mines almost 4 years old.....

You couldn't make it up
    The Windows laptop that I'm using at the moment has 64GB RAM. I don't think I really needed to go that far, but better safe than sorry I guess.
    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
      I see where you are coming from. But keyboard, screen, weight and battery are also important. Not all i7s are equal and my i5 out performs my Lenovo i7.

So performance is really important to me.

Quality of the hardware is also important.
      Yes, I understand. Fact is the Core i7 CPU in a Windows laptop and the more expensive alternative come from the same semi conductor fab facility.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
        Let me guess at the resolution of the display, battery life and weight - 1366 x 768 / 3h / 2.5kg

by your logic, why pay £30-40k for MB/BMW/Audi, when you can get a Dacia for less than £10k
        Sorry, the analogy holds no water. As I pointed out up there ^^^^ the Core i7 CPU is exactly same whether you buy a BMW/Merc laptop or a Dacia laptop. I do understand what you say about the other stuff, but as I said earlier, the difference between GBP 399 and over GBP 2000 can't be justified by such misleading and simple analogies.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          Sorry, the analogy holds no water. As I pointed out up there ^^^^ the Core i7 CPU is exactly same whether you buy a BMW/Merc laptop or a Dacia laptop. I do understand what you say about the other stuff, but as I said earlier, the difference between GBP 399 and over GBP 2000 can't be justified by such misleading and simple analogies.
          I don't think anyone needs to justify their laptops to other people on this forum.

I understand your point but don't get defensive.

Comment

Originally posted by RonBW View Post
            The Windows laptop that I'm using at the moment has 64GB RAM. I don't think I really needed to go that far, but better safe than sorry I guess.
            I guess with 64GB ram you are running VMs?

Comment

I do NEED a laptop, as I don't have one that I can use for a new gig (using my own kit).

I would LIKE a MBP, as I PREFER OSX to Windows.

So I'm okay with paying £££ for one (but maybe not £££+ a bit more for one that *may* get some useful upgrades later this year).

The sensible thing to do would be to buy a cheaper Windows laptop. But if I have a choice to get what I prefer, I'll probably go with that.

Comment

I don't think anyone needs to justify their laptops to other people on this forum.

I understand your point but don't get defensive.
                Absolutely agree with you on that point.

Any impression of umbridge given by me is purely unintentional. As baffled as I might be, folks pay their money etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  Well i guess Renault <> Dacia would have been a better analogy, giving the fact they use the same engine if you translate CPU to Engine in the analogy. One of them being twice the price of the other. Or comparing Audi A3 to A6 with the same engine and wondering why the later is more expensive.

The point is you can't compare £400 to a £2k laptop on CPU alone, the price difference goes into a number of other components, plus brand name "tax" and customer service.

CPU is by far the least utilized component unless you're doing something specific. Web browsing chews through RAM like crazy and HDD is just slowing everything down.

I'm sorry if you fell for a sale pitch that your £400 laptop is just a s good as the £2000 laptop because it has the same Core i7 inside, and the people buying the £2000 stuff are crazy/stupid.

Comment

I guess with 64GB ram you are running VMs?
                    Yes. Normally only one at a time, but I might need more than one. And having my own Oracle instance that I can fire up when I need to takes a fair amount of RAM and disk space!
                    First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

The main problem is that you have already found a solution and are trying to justify it.

Start with the problem.

You need a new 'device' which has the following features

1) Light and easy to carry
                      2) Powerful processor
                      3) Much Ram
                      4) Under £x
                      5) Does it need an apple logo on it?

etc etc etc

then go out and find out what you can buy which meets your needs and your budget.

Comment

Working...
                      X