• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

MBP now, or later ...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spoiler View Post
    Need a work laptop - with a MacBook Pro being a dead cert for the job.

But then I had a quick search, and it appears (according to opinions) that an updated MBP will be launched later this year, with some interesting updates (updated processor, 32GB RAM!) - as one analyst put it - "the most significantly redesigned product this year".

Am dithering somewhat now:

- Get the new one - with a newer, better one available later in the year (but .. there's alway something better just round the corner.
    - Buy the older (pre touchbar) version, which is still available, and cheaper. But as I could claim VAT back on the newest model, and not on the older model (under the FRS 2k limit), it doesn't seem worthwhile
    - Buy a second hand MBP for ~£1,000
    - Buy a cheaper Windows laptop to see me through to "A day"

Anyone got the newest MBP ?
    Am currently tempted to go with buying a second hand MBP off the usual places...

Well, blow me! Same amount of RAM I have inside my Windows lap top (32GB).

Shame mines almost 4 years old.....

You couldn't make it up
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Ooooh, had heard no way for 32MB RAM from several people. Not in the market yet (mid 2015 MB Pro here and it does all I need it to still) so really can recommend the non-touchpad ones. Someone in work got one for a good couple hundred cheaper due to the touchbar coming in so there are some good deals out there I think.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
        Ooooh, had heard no way for 32MB RAM from several people. Not in the market yet (mid 2015 MB Pro here and it does all I need it to still) so really can recommend the non-touchpad ones. Someone in work got one for a good couple hundred cheaper due to the touchbar coming in so there are some good deals out there I think.
        I assume they mean this

http://www.cultofmac.com/462777/new-...m-arrive-year/
        Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
        I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Will head out shopping later this week and have a look at a few models. But as I loved my last MBP (before having to return it) my current thinking is to get a new non-touchbar MBP. Add in £100 accessories and I can reclaim the VAT.

Will have a look at the surface book also, but they don't look cheap either ...

Comment

Aren't you thinking of coming off the FRS? Do it early and claim the VAT regardless of the £2,000.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRed View Post
              Aren't you thinking of coming off the FRS? Do it early and claim the VAT regardless of the £2,000.
              Yes, probably. Was expecting to do it for the next tax year. Guess I could do it sooner. Will ask my accountant...

Comment

I'm almost left speechless. People pay > GBP 2000 for a Core i7 laptop? I bought one for GBP 399 just before Christmas, three year warranty. OK, switch the HDD for an SSD and up the memory from 8 to 16Gb. Still have the better part of GBP 1500 left over. Incredible.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Based on the title of the thread, if you are asking the question about buying something now or later, the answer is later, because if you NEEDED it now, you'd buy it.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                    I'm almost left speechless. People pay > GBP 2000 for a Core i7 laptop? I bought one for GBP 399 just before Christmas, three year warranty. OK, switch the HDD for an SSD and up the memory from 8 to 16Gb. Still have the better part of GBP 1500 left over. Incredible.
                    I see where you are coming from. But keyboard, screen, weight and battery are also important. Not all i7s are equal and my i5 out performs my Lenovo i7.

So performance is really important to me.

Quality of the hardware is also important.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                      Let me guess at the resolution of the display, battery life and weight - 1366 x 768 / 3h / 2.5kg

by your logic, why pay £30-40k for MB/BMW/Audi, when you can get a Dacia for less than £10k

Comment

Working...
                      X