• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I'm not liking Android very much

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alias View Post
    Oxygen takes a lot of getting use to, they developed it as they had a spat with Cyanogen so couldn't use their Rom anymore without legal recourse
    Given the current state of Cyanogen that actually was a good time to leave....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      I moved from Windows Phone 8 to Android 6 when I got my OnePlus3. One of the key things I was expecting about Android was configurability and greater control over the device. But so far I'm finding it does less than my Lumia allowed.

For one thing the volume controls are very limited... alarms/calls/apps. If I want to watch a youtube video I have to turn the media volume up nearly to max but then when I play a game it's incredibly loud. I had rather expected the ability to make per-app adjustments or at least music/video playback to be separate from apps.

Grrr.
      This app will give you per app volume control. There's a free version too https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lumecontrolpro

Also, you should also be on android 7 if you're running the updates (oxygen 4.0.2)

Comment

I'm puzzled why nobody seems to do a plain vanilla android any more? I really like my vanilla Nexus 5 but there does not seem to an equivalent phone offered these days?
        Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
        Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBA View Post
          This app will give you per app volume control. There's a free version too https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...lumecontrolpro

Also, you should also be on android 7 if you're running the updates (oxygen 4.0.2)
          Still on Oxygen 3.2.8, Android 6.0.1. I've had updates since I got the phone so I assume it just hasn't rolled out fully yet - no update is shown available.

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
          I'm puzzled why nobody seems to do a plain vanilla android any more? I really like my vanilla Nexus 5 but there does not seem to an equivalent phone offered these days?
          The Pixel?
          Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

The Pixel would be an obvious candidate. However, its major problem, for me is the price. I tend to benchmark phones against an iPhone. The Nexus 5 was/is a great phone at less than 50% of the iPhone price. Sadly, the Pixel is a premium priced phone and that rules it out for me. I do not need a bells and whistles state of the art handset. A WileyFox or a 1+3 would be ideal if only they came with plain vanilla android installed.

Is this an unfilled niche in the market?
            Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
            Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the 1+ is designed to let you root it easily?

Comment

Still on Oxygen 3.2.8, Android 6.0.1. I've had updates since I got the phone so I assume it just hasn't rolled out fully yet - no update is shown available.
                That doesn't sound right, you're at least two updates behind. The first nougat update was December.
                Grab a free vpn of Google play and set it to Germany. (I used turbo vpn).

Comment

I'm pretty sure the 1+ is designed to let you root it easily?
                  Yes, it is. Have a look at the 1+ forum or xda. there's a very good community and guides.
                  I've rooted every android phone apart from my 1+3. Simply haven't felt the need.

Comment

Originally posted by TheBA View Post
                    That doesn't sound right, you're at least two updates behind. The first nougat update was December.
                    Grab a free vpn of Google play and set it to Germany. (I used turbo vpn).
                    By coincidence, a few hours after posting that message I got an update.

Maybe my provider controls when updates come through, or maybe they stagger them. Or do it by specific handset model.

Now I'm on Oxygen 4.02, Android 7.0. I don't like it much. All the notification sounds changed and I have to pick between MessagING and MessengER for SMS (why?!)

Comment

By coincidence, a few hours after posting that message I got an update.

Maybe my provider controls when updates come through, or maybe they stagger them. Or do it by specific handset model.

Now I'm on Oxygen 4.02, Android 7.0. I don't like it much. All the notification sounds changed and I have to pick between MessagING and MessengER for SMS (why?!)
                      It's your provider/handset maker. When I had a Samsung, Samsung and the network operator would purposely delay the updates by about 6 months. Samsung also put on loads of bloatware you cannot remove. Most phone manufacturers do this and it's really fecking annoying.

Now I've have a Nexus 6 which I've had since end of 2014 and get the updates when Google pushes them out to that phone.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X