• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ramdisks

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Memory lane.
    Greenlake has changed CUK for good!

Comment

If we could get back on topic, presumably SSDs and even spinny disks now have several Gb of cache RAM which is effectively trying to act as an automatic RAM drive - how does this compare to a real one?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        If we could get back on topic, presumably SSDs and even spinny disks now have several Gb of cache RAM which is effectively trying to act as an automatic RAM drive - how does this compare to a real one?
        I'm not sure they all do actually - but they don't compare at all. Consumer grade stuff won't do much, if any, write caching due to the risk of data loss and even so small caches are only useful if you're accessing the same data.

Comment

AIUI RAM disks have gone out of fashion because OS disk cacheing is now so advanced that it is generally quicker to turn over any available RAM to the OS rather than utilise it in a RAM disk.

Boo

Comment

Up and running now

This is my main reason for installing one: Chrome / FireFox hates your SSD
            Second: I've got 64GB to play with.

Here's a great roundup of RAM disks that looks amateur but thorough enough not to be sponsored by a particular vendor. Great reading too.
            Based on that I chose SoftPerfect's RAM Disk and after a bit of playing around with the settings it's now functional.

Comment

Working...
            X