• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cloud adoption by companies

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One for the cloud types working in the real world.

With companies adopting cloud technologies it made me wonder which, if any, was more popular between IaaS, PaaS and SaaS?

Many questions here....

So are companies moving servers and applications from their on site datacenters (probably already virtualised) into IaaS, so really creating virtual datacenters in a public cloud?

or are they taking the application and re-engineering using PaaS?

Are they ditching the current application and using SaaS maybe even from the current application vendor?

I can see PaaS being used by developers for POC and testing, does it stop there or is the application stay on PaaS or is it deployed into a private cloud?

Which leads me onto how much up take of private cloud and hybrid cloud, or is it just all going public cloud?

I know that's a lot of questions\scenarios and all will be being used, but I'm just trying to get a feel for where the bulk of the activity is currently being carried out?
    Last edited by gables; 5 January 2017, 20:48.

Originally posted by gables View Post
    One for the cloud types working in the real world.

With companies adopting cloud technologies it made me wonder which, if any, was more popular between IaaS, PaaS and SaaS?

Many questions here....

So are companies moving servers and applications from their on site datacenters (probably already virtualised) into IaaS, so really creating virtual datacenters in a public cloud?

or are they taking the application and re-engineering using PaaS?

Are they ditching the current application and using SaaS maybe even from the current application vendor?

I can see PaaS being used by developers for POC and testing, does it stop there or is the application stay on PaaS or is it deployed into a private cloud?

Which leads me onto how much up take of private cloud and hybrid cloud, or is it just all going public cloud?

I know that's a lot of questions\scenarios and all will be being used, but I'm just trying to get a feel for where the bulk of the activity is currently being carried out?

Too many questions and scenarios. But I can give you a blanket answer.

It depends.

It depends on the business, their requirements, what they want the cloud for, their risk profile, their work practices and how much money they're willing to spend.

SaaS for things like ServiceNow or Remedy OnDemand, AWS and Azure to replace data centres or green-field projects or new Agile/DevOps working practices.

I know that's a lot of answers but just marry them up with your questions and you're away...
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Oh, and security (or lack thereof) and regulatory compliance are massive but rarely mentioned problems for public cloud users.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
        Oh, and security (or lack thereof) and regulatory compliance are massive but rarely mentioned problems for public cloud users.
        Yup am involved with some gaming companies and they often have to host in a specific country.

Comment

Too many questions and scenarios. But I can give you a blanket answer.

It depends.

It depends on the business, their requirements, what they want the cloud for, their risk profile, their work practices and how much money they're willing to spend.

SaaS for things like ServiceNow or Remedy OnDemand, AWS and Azure to replace data centres or green-field projects or new Agile/DevOps working practices.

I know that's a lot of answers but just marry them up with your questions and you're away...
          Fair enough, I thought that might the case, I was just curious if there was an area with the most amount of activity.

Comment

Yup, I was talking with a fella whose mantra is cloud, cloud, cloud; I mentioned security and that was taken as me building a wall and being negative about cloud, which I'm not.
            Last edited by gables; 6 January 2017, 09:10.

Comment

The market for cloud is huge, not just from the traditional big players like AWS/Azure.

At a very basic level the benefit for the customer is not having massive upfront outlay on hardware, for the seller its a case of combining more than one product to keep a customer for longer

Think this is where the difference between public/private and how hybrid cloud comes in.
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by gables View Post
                Yup, I was talking with a fella whose mantra is cloud, cloud, cloud; I mentioned security and that was taken as me building a wall and being negative about cloud, which I'm not.
                Remember the cloud is just someone else's computer!
                Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

SaaS is big everywhere - Google apps and Office365 adoption rates are skyrocketing. Exchange is notoriously unstable and the latest versions are deliberately sabotaged by MSFT to force ppl into the "security" of Office365.

IaaS is quite popular - Big web presence benefits greatly from the elasticity of the cloud. Online retailers will be either dead in the water or out of pocket without it around the holiday shopping spree periods.

PaaS in my experience is more often an on premise cloud offering for the business from the internal IT rather than consumed from a public or 3rd party cloud.

Most(all?) large companies are experimenting with on-premise/hybrid cloud, to satisfy the CIO ego if nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                    Remember the cloud is just someone else's computer!
                    Yup, the quote I heard was something like "it's still a datacentre"

Comment

Working...
                    X