• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

KODI and Chromecast?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
    Thanks very much for the tip. I wasn't aware of a new Kodi release. I agree with you, if I get an Android box it has to be v6.

Edited to add - Follow up question - I stumbled across a Raspberry pi Kodi solution. I think I could manage to assemble this, doesn't look like it needs any soldering or anything. It seems the OS and Kodi are pre-installed in the SD card. Would it be a better solution than one of the Chinese Kodi boxes on Amazon do you think? Myself, I have no experience of the Raspberry pi but I don't mind a bit of tinkering.

https://thepihut.com/collections/ras...nt=17986632452
    I've run XBMC on a Pi 2 before with no problem, so I would imagine that kodi on a Pi 3 would be better. No work at all - pop the card in the Pi, the Pi in the case and plug it in to the mains and the TV.
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
      I've run XBMC on a Pi 2 before with no problem, so I would imagine that kodi on a Pi 3 would be better. No work at all - pop the card in the Pi, the Pi in the case and plug it in to the mains and the TV.
      Wow. That's impressive. I'll have a think about that further.
      Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
      Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
        Wow. That's impressive. I'll have a think about that further.
        Some of the Kodi boxes that you'll see on Amazon / eBay etc will have additional channels installed (eg so you can watch Sky Sports without a Sky subscription, or stream films) - if you want that then a quick search on YouTube will show you how to do it in a couple of minutes.
        Best Forum Advisor 2014
        Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
        Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
          Some of the Kodi boxes that you'll see on Amazon / eBay etc will have additional channels installed (eg so you can watch Sky Sports without a Sky subscription, or stream films) - if you want that then a quick search on YouTube will show you how to do it in a couple of minutes.
          Cheers thanks. I'm not into Sports and Mrs Bloggs has a Sky account, if I wanted I could use Sky Go. I'm more interested in using Kodi abroad as I'm out of the UK mostly working.

Comment

Pi is great but you need to want to fiddle. The SD cards tend to pop occasionally and you end up swearing a lot.

The Android boxes should be configured out of the box and use NAND so should be more reliable.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              Pi is great but you need to want to fiddle. The SD cards tend to pop occasionally and you end up swearing a lot.

The Android boxes should be configured out of the box and use NAND so should be more reliable.
              Thanks, I kind of thought reliability wise the Pi would be the better against a pretty much unknown Chinese Android box. But for only a bit above GBP 30 it isn't a huge investment anyway. I think the Pi kit is GBP 52, so a bit dearer.

Comment

Anyway, just checking in to say that this morning I got Kodi streaming just fine in 1080p to the telly via the Chromecast using the Localcast app on my Android Marshallow phone. It was easy to set up and only took me a couple of minutes to do. Until Kodi has the function built in to it, Localcast seems an OK option. If I find myself using Kodi regularly, I'll likely buy a Pi Kodi box.

Comment

I'm back in living my apartment overseas now. I have tried Netflix and Kodi via the Chromecast and they work really well. At the moment I am holding off on the Kodi box idea. I'm not so sure I need one. Streaming off my Android phone seems just fine. And I can keep it charging too if battery drain gets to be an issue.

Comment

Working...
                  X