• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Odd problem with wireless repeater.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My PC has Ethernet and I only use WIFI for My Android Tablet and Android phone. Out of range in my office so use a Huawei repeater. Used to work fine but now I can't get internet/email even though it says connected and signal strength is excellent on both devices. When I put them in range of the BT Home Hub 5 router they work fine. The name/IP is the same. Can't see how there is problem with tablet or phone software given both have the same problem and doubt there's a physical fault with the repeater as I have the same issue with two.

Looked at all the net solutions to "connected but no internet" Checked available settings. Tried resetting repeaters and setting them up again.

Any brill CUK ideas on this one?
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

On the slave check your DHCP is off and it has an IP inside the range of the DHCP on the main one but not outside the range it allocates. Could be you've got IP problems if it's allocated something in the range it's given to something else?

You say they have same IP address? Didn't think that was right?

Check the channels and try and assign them as far apart as you can. You get a channel analyser on Google apps or apple to have a look at this.

I'm assuming WEP and SSID are same.

If none of that works I'd reset the slave settings back to normal with a different SSID just to check it's working OK.

All that's from memory so hopefully.l got it right.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I've finally tonight got wifi working throughout the house thanks to https://www.shop.bt.com/learnmore/bt...le-home-wi-fi/

Yep its expensive (and I've had to fork out more as I'm replacing the router with a Draytek firewall for vpn purposes) but its plug and play and just works...

And we are contractors so its really what 1/2 a days money... Especially if you get cashback from Quidco or somewhere...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Your repeater should not have the same IP address as the router. That will cause problems.

As NLUK says, try changing the repeater to a different SSID.
        Also, are you near any other properties? Is it possible that someone next door is using the same WiFi channel as your repeater and screwing up the connection?

Have a sniff at what other networks are around you, what channels they are on and how strong the signal is: I use inssider:

inSSIDer 3.1.2.1 Download - TechSpot
        …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I wouldn't worry too hard about the channels. Even if you use the same one for everything it'll just be slow, rather than broken. It sounds like there's a problem with the repeater talking to the base wifi device. Change all your wifi settings to vanilla .11g without any security (for a very little while), then if it's working then add in all your sensible security bits one by one.

Comment

Thanks for replies chaps, looks some good ones there. I had assumed having same IP address was correct. Boring things to do today so have a bash at it tomorrow and see.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              Thanks for replies chaps, looks some good ones there. I had assumed having same IP address was correct. Boring things to do today so have a bash at it tomorrow and see.
              Sorry, yes. If the repeater needs an IP address and you're giving it the same as the network default gateway (the router) then you'll nix everything connected via that. Set the repeater to .254 or something that'll never get assigned to a dhcp host. No need to mess with all the wireless config.

Comment

Also, if you are setting it up, don't forget to record the IP address you assign to each repeater, then you know which one you replace/upgrade/etc.
                It's even worthwhile posting them on a website, so you know where there's a copy of the list.

Mine is:
                Router: .254
                Office Wifi: .253
                Lounge: .252
                Attic: .251 (or is it .250?)
                Office switch: .242

IP Range set to stop at .240

Comment

Attic?.. What do you do in the attic?
                  Last edited by northernladuk; 16 December 2016, 11:36.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                    Attic?.. What do you do in the attic?
                    Weather station on the roof, it gives better wifi signal to the bottom of the garden, gives improved signal in the back bedrooms and it's great when we're live streaming from the cell. ...That's all

Comment

Working...
                    X