• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Good VPN provider

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good VPN provider

Between online censorship and the snoopers charter I'm strongly considering just using a VPN permanently.

I need a service that doesn't need a special client to install, I want to configure it on my network router. I want one that isn't going to kill my download speeds, works well with streaming and is outside UK jurisdiction regarding data retention and connection logging laws.

ExpressVPN and IPVanish seem to get decent reviews, any other recommendations?

Originally posted by TheCyclingProgrammer View Post
    Between online censorship and the snoopers charter I'm strongly considering just using a VPN permanently.

I need a service that doesn't need a special client to install, I want to configure it on my network router. I want one that isn't going to kill my download speeds, works well with streaming and is outside UK jurisdiction regarding data retention and connection logging laws.

ExpressVPN and IPVanish seem to get decent reviews, any other recommendations?
    I have an ASUS router https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC6.../dp/B00FB45SI4

(If you flash it with Merlin Firmware,) it can run OpenVPN so you needn't bother subscribing to a commercial VPN service

See here for a setup guide: https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.p...article&id=216
    I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
      I have an ASUS router https://www.amazon.co.uk/ASUS-RT-AC6.../dp/B00FB45SI4

(If you flash it with Merlin Firmware,) it can run OpenVPN so you needn't bother subscribing to a commercial VPN service

See here for a setup guide: https://torguard.net/knowledgebase.p...article&id=216
      I actually have an ASUS router running Merlin. I don't know if I can be arsed to run and maintain my own VPN though. My business has no problem paying for one.

Or are you recommending Torguard specifically?

Comment

I actually have an ASUS router running Merlin. I don't know if I can be arsed to run and maintain my own VPN though. My business has no problem paying for one.

I went with IP Vanish VPN on an ASUS router and pointed it at a UK proxy near home. I've also used Swedish proxies and others from around the world that I've just changed the location in the DD-WRT configuration settings. I dread to think where people think I'm from, but as long as I can get BBC news without adverts on it then I'm generally happy since my requirements are fairly low. I've also used the same UK VPN on my mobile for when I'm abroad and want things that are geoblocked to the UK.

There was something on BBC yesterday about different providers - Panama seems to be popular at the moment, but American ones don't seem to think they would have to provide data to the UK.

I think IP Vanish is something like $7 a month if you pay for a year, router is more expensive but is probably worth the expense IMHO.

Comment

You get nice adverts like this once its all working

Comment

Originally posted by missinggreenfields View Post
            You get nice adverts like this once its all working

What you mean these are fake?

I feel like my whole life is a lie....

Comment

Not at all. Run your own VPN on the router. Worked for me when I was traveling abroad and needed a UK based IP. Your Asus can also run as a Tor gateway should you need that anonymity.
              I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
                Not at all. Run your own VPN on the router. Worked for me when I was traveling abroad and needed a UK based IP. Your Asus can also run as a Tor gateway should you need that anonymity.
                I believe TCP is looking for a VPN on his home connection to anonymise all of his activity, not a way to connect back home from abroad. In which case the only solution is to pay for a VPN service preferably compatible with a client on a router, so he don't have to make individual connections from every device. Running a VPN server on his router will do him no good.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                  I believe TCP is looking for a VPN on his home connection to anonymise all of his activity, not a way to connect back home from abroad. In which case the only solution is to pay for a VPN service preferably compatible with a client on a router, so he don't have to make individual connections from every device. Running a VPN server on his router will do him no good.
                  Yes, thats exactly what I'm after. I do actually already run a VPN service on my router which enables me to connect to my home network but as you say, that's not what I'm looking for here.

Basically the choice is between a commercial VPN provider or going to the effort of setting up my own OpenVPN service on a VPS somewhere.

Comment

Do you really want everything to use it? I guess you do because otherwise you wouldn't be asking, but there may be some downsides to appearing to be outside the UK.

I have a TrustZone account. Seems to work, but I only use it in a Linux VM with OpenVPN but I think they also do IPSec so can probably set it up on the router.
                    Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Working...
                    X