• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Multiroom wireless speakers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Thanks - although quite honestly that first line was just noise to me. No idea what those things are..!
    Its one of these Logitech Squeezebox Touch - Internet Streaming Music Player | eBay

Advantages over Sonos is that you could see what was playing, can have remote controls everywhere around the house and can use any speaker system you want.

Disadvantage over Sonos - it doesn't provide a speaker and support is now open source rather than via Sonos.

Long term Sonos will go the same way as Squeezebox as Amazon Echo and other similar systems will take the market...

Personally I would try an Amazon Echo/Dot and see how that works.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Its one of these Logitech Squeezebox Touch - Internet Streaming Music Player | eBay

Advantages over Sonos is that you could see what was playing, can have remote controls everywhere around the house and can use any speaker system you want.

Disadvantage over Sonos - it doesn't provide a speaker and support is now open source rather than via Sonos.

Long term Sonos will go the same way as Squeezebox as Amazon Echo and other similar systems will take the market...

Personally I would try an Amazon Echo/Dot and see how that works.
      Your phone is the remote for SONOS
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        Your phone is the remote for SONOS
        My phone is the remote for the squeezeboxes. I don't however need to get it out if I just want to turn the music up or down a bit or listen to something else.

As with many things its rarely the best solution that wins the battle.

Comment

My phone is the remote for the squeezeboxes. I don't however need to get it out if I just want to turn the music up or down a bit or listen to something else.

As with many things its rarely the best solution that wins the battle.
          Same with Sonos. You don't need a phone (or other controller) to change the volume or to listen to something else.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Same with Sonos. You don't need a phone (or other controller) to change the volume or to listen to something else.
            and how do you do that when you don't have a screen telling you what you are about to play?

Comment

and how do you do that when you don't have a screen telling you what you are about to play?

I don't need a screen to turn the volume up or down or to skip tracks, also a screen was not in your original requirements document...

(I remember looking at the squeezebox about a decade ago, but then waited and eventually plumped for Sonos - originally just as a soundbar for the TV and then I bought a few more speakers.)
              …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I don't need a screen to turn the volume up or down or to skip tracks, also a screen was not in your original requirements document...

(I remember looking at the squeezebox about a decade ago, but then waited and eventually plumped for Sonos - originally just as a soundbar for the TV and then I bought a few more speakers.)
                True, if you can manage with that limited functionality....

Comment

I had assumed my phone would be the screen, so to speak. I think I am looking at a '3' speaker for the living room [with the TV, however that works] and a few 1s dotted about the place.
                  Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
                  +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

I had assumed my phone would be the screen, so to speak. I think I am looking at a '3' speaker for the living room [with the TV, however that works] and a few 1s dotted about the place.
                    Why a 3. You could go for a playbar and use it for both your telly and music....
                    Last edited by eek; 23 November 2016, 15:53.

Comment

yes the phone will be the screen, you can queue up next tracks from a library, or select which ever radio station you want.

I have a 1 in the Kitchen, the Conservatory and "office", a 3 in the Bedroom, a Playbar and SUB for the living room, but that is quite a step up in price, you could get away with a three in the living room and then upgrade to a Playbar (~£600) or Playbar and Sub (~£1000) and redistribute the 3 elsewhere if you think its worth the upgrade later.
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X