Posts 11 to 20 of 31
    eek

bored now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    Thanks - although quite honestly that first line was just noise to me. No idea what those things are..!
    Its one of these Logitech Squeezebox Touch - Internet Streaming Music Player | eBay

Advantages over Sonos is that you could see what was playing, can have remote controls everywhere around the house and can use any speaker system you want.

Disadvantage over Sonos - it doesn't provide a speaker and support is now open source rather than via Sonos.

Long term Sonos will go the same way as Squeezebox as Amazon Echo and other similar systems will take the market...

Personally I would try an Amazon Echo/Dot and see how that works.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

TykeLike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Its one of these Logitech Squeezebox Touch - Internet Streaming Music Player | eBay

Advantages over Sonos is that you could see what was playing, can have remote controls everywhere around the house and can use any speaker system you want.

Disadvantage over Sonos - it doesn't provide a speaker and support is now open source rather than via Sonos.

Long term Sonos will go the same way as Squeezebox as Amazon Echo and other similar systems will take the market...

Personally I would try an Amazon Echo/Dot and see how that works.
    Your phone is the remote for SONOS
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

eek

bored now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by SimonMac View Post
    Your phone is the remote for SONOS
    My phone is the remote for the squeezeboxes. I don't however need to get it out if I just want to turn the music up or down a bit or listen to something else.

As with many things its rarely the best solution that wins the battle.

キツネの帽子をかぶる

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My phone is the remote for the squeezeboxes. I don't however need to get it out if I just want to turn the music up or down a bit or listen to something else.

As with many things its rarely the best solution that wins the battle.
    Same with Sonos. You don't need a phone (or other controller) to change the volume or to listen to something else.
    0. Absolute Power corrupts absolutely. Moderator Power corrupts moderately.
    1. I have a low tolerance level for idiots.
    2. You have to earn my respect, demanding it won't work.

eek

bored now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by WTFH View Post
    Same with Sonos. You don't need a phone (or other controller) to change the volume or to listen to something else.
    and how do you do that when you don't have a screen telling you what you are about to play?

キツネの帽子をかぶる

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

and how do you do that when you don't have a screen telling you what you are about to play?

I don't need a screen to turn the volume up or down or to skip tracks, also a screen was not in your original requirements document...

(I remember looking at the squeezebox about a decade ago, but then waited and eventually plumped for Sonos - originally just as a soundbar for the TV and then I bought a few more speakers.)
    0. Absolute Power corrupts absolutely. Moderator Power corrupts moderately.
    1. I have a low tolerance level for idiots.
    2. You have to earn my respect, demanding it won't work.

eek

bored now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I don't need a screen to turn the volume up or down or to skip tracks, also a screen was not in your original requirements document...

(I remember looking at the squeezebox about a decade ago, but then waited and eventually plumped for Sonos - originally just as a soundbar for the TV and then I bought a few more speakers.)
    True, if you can manage with that limited functionality....

Godlike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had assumed my phone would be the screen, so to speak. I think I am looking at a '3' speaker for the living room [with the TV, however that works] and a few 1s dotted about the place.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

eek

bored now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had assumed my phone would be the screen, so to speak. I think I am looking at a '3' speaker for the living room [with the TV, however that works] and a few 1s dotted about the place.
    Why a 3. You could go for a playbar and use it for both your telly and music....
    Last edited by eek; 23rd November 2016 at 14:53.

TykeLike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

yes the phone will be the screen, you can queue up next tracks from a library, or select which ever radio station you want.

I have a 1 in the Kitchen, the Conservatory and "office", a 3 in the Bedroom, a Playbar and SUB for the living room, but that is quite a step up in price, you could get away with a three in the living room and then upgrade to a Playbar (~£600) or Playbar and Sub (~£1000) and redistribute the 3 elsewhere if you think its worth the upgrade later.
    “Live a good life. If there are gods and they are just, then they will not care how devout you have been, but will welcome you based on the virtues you have lived by. If there are gods, but unjust, then you should not want to worship them. If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones.”

― Marcus Aurelius

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast