• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Multiroom wireless speakers

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiroom wireless speakers

Bear with me, as I'm not remotely technically minded.

I would like to sort out some wireless multiroom speakers. I assumed Sonos would make the most sense, but I keep reading about issues with playing BBC iPlayer content.

My main requirement is the ability to play BBC Radio through the house, so this has put me off somewhat. Can anyone verify this, or recommend another system? I looked at Denon but frankly have no idea what I'm looking at.
    Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
    +5 Xeno Cool Points

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
    My main requirement is the ability to play BBC Radio through the house.
    Just buy a stack of £5 radio clocks and put them all over the house

Here are some multi-room alternatives and reviews, I have no real exprience with any of them:

Best Wireless Speakers: Sonos and multi-room alternatives

Comment

Originally posted by MaryPoppins View Post
      Bear with me, as I'm not remotely technically minded.

I would like to sort out some wireless multiroom speakers. I assumed Sonos would make the most sense, but I keep reading about issues with playing BBC iPlayer content.

My main requirement is the ability to play BBC Radio through the house, so this has put me off somewhat. Can anyone verify this, or recommend another system? I looked at Denon but frankly have no idea what I'm looking at.
      I have SONOS and can stream live Radio (including BBC) though it, you can search some iPlayer stuff though but I haven't tried it much
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I'd still take the gamble on SONOS, personally. They seem to be fairly active in development and, honestly, it's the best kit.

Comment

I've no problem with Sonos and BBC radio. Also have a Sonos playbar and running iPlayer TV programs, there's no issues there.

The issue is with listen again on the iPlayer. The solution to it is a bit cumbersome right now. You need to connect either Google Chromecast or Apple Airplay to a Sonos Play 5, Sonos Connect or Sonos Connect Amp, then you can play it anywhere on your Sonos system.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I carefully nurse my slimdevices / logitech squeezeboxes as it does exactly what you want and there is still nothing yet that can compete.

Just try and listen to the same track of music across multiple rooms and you see the problem.

As for what to buy now not a clue. Given how the BBC screwed their radio streaming services last year to get the iplayer radio app working I'm not sure what solutions work and worse what solutions will continue working long term. At least with squeezeboxes they use a server which means I can fix any issues that appear.

Sorry I'm not more help. Personally I reckon your phone and some speakers are the best option and Sonos the other option.
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Ah Ok, thanks all.

Sonos it is then.
              Practically perfect in every way....there's a time and (more importantly) a place for malarkey.
              +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
                I carefully nurse my slimdevices / logitech squeezeboxes as it does exactly what you want and there is still nothing yet that can compete.

Just try and listen to the same track of music across multiple rooms and you see the problem.

As for what to buy now not a clue. Given how the BBC screwed their radio streaming services last year to get the iplayer radio app working I'm not sure what solutions work and worse what solutions will continue working long term. At least with squeezeboxes they use a server which means I can fix any issues that appear.

Sorry I'm not more help. Personally I reckon your phone and some speakers are the best option and Sonos the other option.

Thanks - although quite honestly that first line was just noise to me. No idea what those things are..!
                +5 Xeno Cool Points

Comment

And there's an Alexa/Sonos plug-in promised for next year.
                  World's Best Martini

Comment

Sorted.

'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X