• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

NAS vs SAN for picture and video

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Took over a 200 RAWs I'm sure the other month when snapping the milky-way. Now down to 4 files!

Very nice, thanks for sharing.
    Have you ever shot it somewhere where it can been seen really well, maybe Maldives or somewhere else?

I really liked the ones from Peru, as I said earlier, especially the train ones.
    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by jonnyboy View Post
      Nice picture... mind sharing the technical aspects - ISO, A,S, etc. I see you tone mapped - what did you do with the post processing of the raw image?
      ISO 2500 (Can go higher but no need with the tracker)
      f/2
      using 23mm lens (35mm eq)
      20 second exposures

Also use the star tracker on the tripod, just point at the northern star and fix your camera to it. Almost never any star drag.

Yes, tone mapped. This final image is the result of a six shot composite. RAW's were put together with photomatix Pro 5.

You can see more of my stuff on here: https://justfraser.smugmug.com
      "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
        Unified Storage?

Like my Oracle 7100 in the garage!
        The lights probably dim every time you reboot that

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
          Very nice, thanks for sharing.
          Have you ever shot it somewhere where it can been seen really well, maybe Maldives or somewhere else?

I really liked the ones from Peru, as I said earlier, especially the train ones.
          The shot was taken from the channel islands, very dark. The Maldives, and other Pacific islands I've found not that great unless you can get above the heat.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by bobspud View Post
            The lights probably dim every time you reboot that
            At the moment the (new build) house leccy is running off a huge diesel generator until they hook up the proper supply. Free leccy!

it's 700w normal draw, sure my Son's gaming PC draws about that with all the super-dooper GFX cards in it......

I aslo have an IBM DS3400 SAN, 24tb's, that only draws 285w, not bad really, but a bit old hat now. I use it for serving boot disks on various Unix metal, SPARC, HP RISC and Itanium, ESX, POWER and even ALPHA, hardly need it now tho, that part of my life is over I think!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              I aslo have an IBM DS3400 SAN, 24tb's, that only draws 285w, not bad really, but a bit old hat now. I use it for serving boot disks on various Unix metal, SPARC, HP RISC and Itanium, ESX, POWER and even ALPHA, hardly need it now tho, that part of my life is over I think!
              At one point I had 4 sun E4500's plus A5000 disk arrays sat spinning in my garage

Then I got the electric bill and discovered VMware fast

I just uninstalled my copy of VMware when my upgrade to macOS destroyed something in my windows image and I decided to say sod it.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                If you already have a server that's running 24x7 and don't need the fancy stuff most NAS offer, but only basic fileshare your best bet is to just upgrade the storage on the server with larger drives, as for working over WiFi is your WiFi Router 802.11ac or 802.11g and does it have 1gig connection to your server? A decent 802.11ac WiFi should get you in the gigabit range.
                This is what I have started leaning toward. I use the free Cisco router from Meraki (someone posted here if you take their webinar you get one free). Solid piece of kit and get good throughputs. Might be the way to go - at the end of the day that's what I really needed but wanted to try something abit fancier.

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
                  This is what I have started leaning toward. I use the free Cisco router from Meraki (someone posted here if you take their webinar you get one free). Solid piece of kit and get good throughputs. Might be the way to go - at the end of the day that's what I really needed but wanted to try something abit fancier.
                  You can still have the fancy stuff, just run FreeNAS or xPenology(Synology DMS port) on a VM on your server. Although I would recommend you to get an HP micro server for £100ish and stick it there it's a brilliant piece of kit, quiet and draws less than 100W of power

Comment

It had been years since I bought any IT gear so decided to treat myself - I got a 1 TB Samsung SSD and 3 x 4TB Hitachi Ultrastars for the server. Since I didn't want the 4 x 1TB drives I am removing to waste away, I got a Synology DS916+ to throw them into. I think that should give me another 5 years before I need to buy gear again. It's to preserve the family photos...at least that's what I keep telling the Mrs...

Comment

Working...
                    X