• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amazon Echo

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tempted, but unsure.....that said, read it will integrate with Sonos (which we have a lot of!) and also Tado (which looks after heating at Kevpuk Towers), so........perhaps the Dot will be a better choice, given that we won't need the 'speaker' element?
    latest-and-greatest solution (TM) kevpuk 2013

Comment

Thinking of getting one, only got tomorrow to get the £50 off for Prime members.

One question, are there alternative voices available? Not sure I want an annoying septic in my living room. What if it sounds like Donald Trump?

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
        Thinking of getting one, only got tomorrow to get the £50 off for Prime members.

One question, are there alternative voices available? Not sure I want an annoying septic in my living room. What if it sounds like Donald Trump?
        It has quite a nice voice
        https://www.facebook.com/InsideAmazo...4195638995413/

Comment

Originally posted by woohoo View Post
          Mmmmmmm, sexy. English accent as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose423956 View Post
            I wouldn't rush on that basis. Next Black Monday or Prime Day they'll discount their own stuff heavily as normal.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              I wouldn't rush on that basis. Next Black Monday or Prime Day they'll discount their own stuff heavily as normal.
              Missed the offer anyway. Already gone, despite the page earlier saying the offer was on today. Must be going by Australian time.

Comment

I wonder if sonos have an embed microphone in the speakers to future proof for this kind of functionality. I have always suspected Microsoft would one day purchase them.

As for voice recognition, it takes me 10 attempts to get the xbox to turn on, I would probably starve to death by the time I successfully dictated a food order to an amazon echo
                Last edited by minestrone; 18 September 2016, 14:29.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post
                  I wonder if sonos have an embed microphone in the speakers to future proof for this kind of functionality. I have always suspected Microsoft would one day purchase them.

As for voice recognition, it takes me 10 attempts to get the xbox to turn on, I would probably starve to death by the time I successfully dictated a food order to an amazon echo
                  The kinnect on th Xbox sometimes worked surprisingly well for me other times it was a joke.

The echo has decent reviews for voice recognition but then I have only read American reviews. I use the voice recognition on the fire TV and its pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by minestrone View Post

Nooooo. Not sure what it gives MS strategically?
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Nooooo. Not sure what it gives MS strategically?
                      I think MS are desperate to move into media streaming although they keep making an absolute arse of it. Buying sonos would probably give them the edge to become a major player quite quickly.

Comment

Working...
                      X