• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Smart phone that doesn't start with "i" and has a large screen

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smart phone that doesn't start with "i" and has a large screen

My mobby is on the blink, literally - The display seems to fade and cut out at random, especially while I make calls and that is especially vexing as many calls to automated lines require numbers to be tapped in.

So, I'm looking for a new smartphone, _not_ Apple, and with as large a screen as possible, preferably almost A5, although I doubt many if any phones that large are available. (I'd happily use an A4 tablet as a phone if that was possible, although it would look a bit eccentric holding something that large up to one's ear!)

Any ideas? Didn't Samsung sell an unusually large phone a while ago?
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    My mobby is on the blink, literally - The display seems to fade and cut out at random, especially while I make calls and that is especially vexing as many calls to automated lines require numbers to be tapped in.

So, I'm looking for a new smartphone, _not_ Apple, and with as large a screen as possible, preferably almost A5, although I doubt many if any phones that large are available. (I'd happily use an A4 tablet as a phone if that was possible, although it would look a bit eccentric holding something that large up to one's ear!)

Any ideas? Didn't Samsung sell an unusually large phone a while ago?
    Whatever phone you get, due to heavy handedness you will need one of these:-

Also bullet proof, for if you get a role in Syria

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

Whatever phone you get, due to heavy handedness you will need one of these:-

Also bullet proof, for if you get a role in Syria

Looks good, in case I accidently drop the phone out of a moving car.

But it probably isn't large enough, unless the guy holding it is that Jaws character from the James Bond films!

Comment

Looks good, in case I accidently drop the phone out of a moving car.

But it probably isn't large enough, unless the guy holding it is that Jaws character from the James Bond films!
        If you keep it your top shirt pocket, it could save your fookin' life
        The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Any reason why not Apple?

Samsung have the biggest sales by some way. Their latest model is quite good at keeping you warm, so if you want to go for one made by the global leader, one that most people say you have to have, one that you will never be accused of being a "fan" for having or liking, and one where you can say "It's not an Apple", then go for it. Personally, I wouldn't rule out a brand because certain people hate it with no logical reason, apart from it's fashionable to hate.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Samsung note 7 when its back on sale screen size is 5.7"

Huawei P9 plus has a 5.5" screen as has the Galaxy 7 edge.

The Huawei P9 is only 5.2" but its stupidly cheap if you don't mind a refurb one from o2 (£192).
            merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

OnePlus?

I'm onto the 3 now, brilliant phone. Only gripe is the slowness of releasing OS updates.
              Although it's only 5.5" screen so might not be big enough.

Or maybe nexus 6P...
              Last edited by jfazzie; 13 September 2016, 12:32. Reason: More details

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

I wouldn't rule out a brand because certain people hate it with no logical reason, apart from it's fashionable to hate.
                I hate Apple products with no logical reason, from long before it was fashionable

Comment

I hate Apple products with no logical reason, from long before it was fashionable
                  Same here, my brothers a graphic designer, so got bleeding sick of him telling me how good they are over the years
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I've got this, pretty cheap now. You might struggle for apps so check if you need something before buying, saying that the only thing Im missing is a nest app for the IP cam.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/mobi...pecifications/

Comment

Working...
                    X