• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Most economical way to get MS Office legitimately?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most economical way to get MS Office legitimately?

I have been relying for years on a copy of Office 2010 I got through Action Pack ages ago on my ageing desktop... it's survived upgrades to Windows 8 and 10 and still runs, and the fact it's probably not in license gets pushed to the back of my mind as it gets used so very rarely - my work is nearly all done via RDP on a client machine which has VS, Office, etc.

But now I've started working locally more on a newer laptop which amongst other things has no DVD drive so even if I wanted to, installing my copy of Office would be a pain... plus actively installing an unlicensed copy for actual work is not something I'm happy to do.

So what are my options? I don't think that LibreOffice is sufficient for my needs working on large, complicated documents involving macros, at least it wasn't last time I tried it.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I have been relying for years on a copy of Office 2010 I got through Action Pack ages ago on my ageing desktop... it's survived upgrades to Windows 8 and 10 and still runs, and the fact it's probably not in license gets pushed to the back of my mind as it gets used so very rarely - my work is nearly all done via RDP on a client machine which has VS, Office, etc.

But now I've started working locally more on a newer laptop which amongst other things has no DVD drive so even if I wanted to, installing my copy of Office would be a pain... plus actively installing an unlicensed copy for actual work is not something I'm happy to do.

So what are my options? I don't think that LibreOffice is sufficient for my needs working on large, complicated documents involving macros, at least it wasn't last time I tried it.
    Use a machine with a dvd drive to put your copy on a stick ?
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Office 365? What's not to like?
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
        Use a machine with a dvd drive to put your copy on a stick ?
        I don't that makes it legal... an old pre-installed copy that has lost its license is one thing, deliberately installing a hookey copy is another (to me anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
          Office 365? What's not to like?
          Well I don't know, hence the thread! I know you can still buy the regular Office/Word but is 365 the obvious choice? Do they still do a "home license" for several PCs?

Comment

Well I don't know, hence the thread! I know you can still buy the regular Office/Word but is 365 the obvious choice? Do they still do a "home license" for several PCs?
            Yes and yes.

Comment

But now I've started working locally more on a newer laptop which amongst other things has no DVD drive so even if I wanted to, installing my copy of Office would be a pain...
              What, £10 for a USB DVD drive?
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

If you want multiple licences you can get a 5 user version of Office 365 Home for about £40 or so on ebay - they just send a code.

If you want hosted exchange its about £7 a month per user from Microsoft (far cheaper than elsewhere)...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Ask around the family. My wife has a deal from work where she can install up to five copies of Office 365 for free.

I also think that anyone with a .ac.uk email addy can also get a low cost deal too. All legit and legal.
                  Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                  Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Yep O365 works for me.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X