• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Copying files between laptops

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Copying files between laptops

Copying files from old (win7) to new (win10) via simple cat6 network cable. Was getting speeds of 10MBPS last night! WTF!

Googled around and it is a known issue copying from win7 and something I am going to look at is iperf? Anyone done this? Other ways to make it fast?

TIA

qh
    He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

External hard drive no use?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

If you use "Windows Easy Transfer" you can use a USB drive as the destination or copy the files over Ethernet. Give it a go (clue - it's built into Windows).
      I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Originally posted by Scruff View Post
        If you use "Windows Easy Transfer" you can use a USB drive as the destination or copy the files over Ethernet. Give it a go (clue - it's built into Windows).
        Wasn't that what I was doing? Why the slow speed then?

qh

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

qh
          Slow disks or are they both SSD?

Comment

10MBPS (MegaBYTES per second) or 10Mbps (MegaBITS per second)?

If it's the former then I guess one of the NICs is 100MBps, quite common for older laptops with theoretical maximum speed of around 12MBPS

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
            Even a slow 5400 should have at least 30-50MBPS read/write speed

Comment

Both are SSD.

qh

Comment

It's probably the ethernet card driver and settings.

Look at the Disabling “Large Send Offload (LSO)” on Local Area Network : How to fix slow LAN transfer speed of files in Windows and remember to do it on both computers...
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

qh
                  /
                  Not sure what you were using, tbh, since it it wasn't mentioned in the OP? If I have misread it, then "my bad", sorry.
                  I was an IPSE Consultative Council Member, until the BoD abolished it. I am not an IPSE Member, since they have no longer have any relevance to me, as an IT Contractor. Read my lips...I recommend QDOS for ALL your Insurance requirements (Contact me for a referral code).

Comment

Also try using Robocpy in cmd instead of the GUI crap, should be builtin even in Win7

Comment

Working...
                    X