• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High end laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High end laptop

My MacBook Pro (Broadwell) has been struggling a bit lately, Windows 10 dev VM, several other rdp connections (Azure) so I'm desperate for a new one but Apple is sitting on their laurels.

What would you recommend for a laptop, is the Dell XPS game in town?

Wait a couple of weeks

MacBook Pro 2016: Specs, leaks and rumours | The Week UK
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I've got an XPS. Beats the Mac family at all levels unless you're wedded to the Mac OS, not that the fanbois will believe me...

Asus do some very good kit as well.
      Blog? What blog...?

Comment

I have one also.
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

+1. I have a very old (2009) MBP, and was looking to replace it with a new top end MBP. The Dell XPS 4k 15" 9550 maxed out seems to be cheaper than the top end MBP, and way cheaper. I really like OSX, but I have to admit dual booting Windows + Linux might be a viable alternative...
          And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

ThinkPad P70 (17inch)| Mobile Workstation LaptopÂ*| Lenovo UK

£3,413.19

Ships in 11 business days

Processor
            Intel Core i7-6820HQ processor (8MB Cache, Up to 3.6 Ghz)
            Operating System
            Windows 10 Pro 64
            Operating System Language
            Windows 10 Pro 64 WE (EN/FR/DE/NL/IT)
            Display
            17.3 4K(3840x2160) IPS Non-Touch
            Memory
            64GB(16x4) DDR4 2133MHz SoDIMM
            Graphic Card
            NVIDIA Quadro M3000M 4GB
            Color Sensor
            With Color Sensor
            Camera
            720p HD Camera with Microphone
            Keyboard
            Keyboard with Number Pad - UK English
            Pointing Device
            3+3BCP, Fingerprint Reader,Color Sensor
            Security Features
            Integrated Fingerprint Reader
            Security Chip
            Software TPM Enabled
            Storage (SSD)
            1TB SSD PCIe-NVMe
            Storage (HDD)
            500GB HD 7200RPM
            Storage (optical)
            9.5mm Fixed DVD Recordable
            Total Hard Drive Capacity
            1.5TB
            System Expansion Slots
            Smart Card Reader
            Power Cord
            230W AC Adapter - UK(3pin)
            Battery
            8 Cell Li-Ion Battery 96Wh
            Wireless
            Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC(2x2) 8260, Bluetooth Version 4.1 vPro

That's a laptop, not that Apple tulipe.

Comment

@DP, bought a similar priced Lenovo, a little while ago now, SSD, 32 gig ram etc. A number of people recommended Lenovo prior.

Could seem like a Volvo drivers choice for the hipsters amongst us

Been fantastic, couldnt recommend more, one of the best machines I've ever had
              The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                @DP, bought a similar priced Lenovo, a little while ago now, SSD, 32 gig ram etc. A number of people recommended Lenovo prior.

Could seem like a Volvo drivers choice for the hipsters amongst us

Been fantastic, couldnt recommend more, one of the best machines I've ever had
                Yeah, looks like tulip, but probably faster than the hipster's cloud server room.

Comment

Where is the bottleneck of your current MBP - Memory, CPU, Disk? You might not need new on in the first place, single VM shouldn't be a problem unless there is a specific load running on it. RDP connections shouldn't put much load on anything but some RAM. I'm regularly running 20+ on a crappy i5 / 8GB RAM laptop.

If you can afford it - wait for the new MBP that should come out in a couple of weeks.

I'm very pleased with the Surface Book, bloody expensive but probably the best 13" laptop out there.

Dell XPS was great choice prior to 2010 and I had one, around 2010 they f**ked up the line, so I went for an Alienware that wasn't fully assimilated by Dell and at that point was still good. In general the quality of all Dell products including servers has gone to sh*t in the last years. With all going private and the buy outs and billions of debt I can envision them keep cutting corners in the future.

I have a personal dislike for Lenovo products with all the spyware backed in the BIOS and what not. Heard they have cleaned their act lately. Good for bottom of the barrel laptop for your granny. For a £2k+ rig, I would pass.

Comment

Originally posted by sal View Post
                    Where is the bottleneck of your current MBP - Memory, CPU, Disk? You might not need new on in the first place, single VM shouldn't be a problem unless there is a specific load running on it. RDP connections shouldn't put much load on anything but some RAM. I'm regularly running 20+ on a crappy i5 / 8GB RAM laptop.

If you can afford it - wait for the new MBP that should come out in a couple of weeks.

I'm very pleased with the Surface Book, bloody expensive but probably the best 13" laptop out there.

Dell XPS was great choice prior to 2010 and I had one, around 2010 they f**ked up the line, so I went for an Alienware that wasn't fully assimilated by Dell and at that point was still good. In general the quality of all Dell products including servers has gone to sh*t in the last years. With all going private and the buy outs and billions of debt I can envision them keep cutting corners in the future.

I have a personal dislike for Lenovo products with all the spyware backed in the BIOS and what not. Heard they have cleaned their act lately. Good for bottom of the barrel laptop for your granny. For a £2k+ rig, I would pass.
                    Do you have a beard?
                    Do you like fixed speed bikes
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                    X