• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

High end laptop

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hugebrain View Post
    Careful out there. Isn't the quadro some lame card from the days of yore?

I think these days you need a gtx1080, and if you are a cheapskate, the 1060 and 1070 are still better than that dinosaur.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'm buying a new laptop in the next week or so, maybe Asus rog g752vs or a msi gt72vr.

Any other good options?
    The Quadro are the professional chips good for CUDA and other things but the M series is based on last years gtx9 series chips. the gtx10 series are this years models....
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

I spent a grand in 08 for one of these - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJWItMk73nA - swapped out the HDD for a Samsung SSD and it still boots up in less than a min with Windows 10. It became the mrs's machine when I got a Mac last year. Honestly feels like a step back - a thick slab of aluminium with some mediocre insides

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
        I spent a grand in 08 for one of these - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sJWItMk73nA - swapped out the HDD for a Samsung SSD and it still boots up in less than a min with Windows 10. It became the mrs's machine when I got a Mac last year. Honestly feels like a step back - a thick slab of aluminium with some mediocre insides
        Why do you reboot your computer?
        "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          MS Updates I suspect.

Comment

Went for a 2-in-1 Lenovo Yoga 900 a few months back after looking at the New Microsoft Surface Book options. Love that it's nice and light with great battery life. Really impressed by its build quality for 13.3" and it boots / comes out of hibernation in seconds with it's SSD.

Plenty of dock options for connecting Ethernet/HDMI etc..
            Screen is a tad shiny, but can be countered with a matt screen protector.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              +1, Never had to do that with my Mac...

Comment

Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
                +1, Never had to do that with my Mac...
                Really? I have a Mac and have had to reboot several times due to OS patches, various SW updates etc. It is not really the utopia Mac people seem to imply it is. Don't get me wrong I think it's a good piece of hardware, but not really amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by Einstein Jnr View Post
                  Really? I have a Mac and have had to reboot several times due to OS patches, various SW updates etc. It is not really the utopia Mac people seem to imply it is. Don't get me wrong I think it's a good piece of hardware, but not really amazing.

Now you will face the wrath, anger and hellfire of all of CUKs Resident Apple Fanbois, I had a similar experience when I criticised Greggs
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

Now you will face the wrath, anger and hellfire of all of CUKs Resident Apple Fanbois, I had a similar experience when I criticised Greggs
                    Brave, very brave. Surprised stek didn't drown you in a vat of gravy.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
                      Brave, very brave. Surprised stek didn't drown you in a vat of gravy.
                      They wore masks, the only thing I know is their breath smelt strongly of real ale and a Greggs lunchtime meal deal.
                      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Working...
                      X