• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Which Laptop - Advice Please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which Laptop - Advice Please

I generally dislike threads like this, but here goes. Looking for a new laptop for my significant other. Work usage, it mostly stays at home but doesn't want to be home-laptop trash. i.e. must be robust enough to travel when needed.

Spec along the lines of 15" screen, 8GB RAM, Windows 10, preferably an SSD, Intel i5 processor

All the usual suspects HP, Dell, Lenovo T series are coming in around £700-£1000 whereas she'd prefer to spend less than about £600. I prefer to avoid brands like Acer, Asus and similar "cheapo" rubbish.

Am I missing something? Have laptop prices gone up? I seem to remember being able to get an i5 for around £500 a few years ago.

Any pointers, advice etc gratefully received. "Buy a Mac" is not an option for her

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    I generally dislike threads like this, but here goes. Looking for a new laptop for my significant other. Work usage, it mostly stays at home but doesn't want to be home-laptop trash. i.e. must be robust enough to travel when needed.

Spec along the lines of 15" screen, 8GB RAM, Windows 10, preferably an SSD, Intel i5 processor

All the usual suspects HP, Dell, Lenovo T series are coming in around £700-£1000 whereas she'd prefer to spend less than about £600. I prefer to avoid brands like Acer, Asus and similar "cheapo" rubbish.

Am I missing something? Have laptop prices gone up? I seem to remember being able to get an i5 for around £500 a few years ago.

Any pointers, advice etc gratefully received. "Buy a Mac" is not an option for her
    Well prices will probably have increased 10% with Brexit....

But there does seem to be a few on Dell outlet if you have a look at Dell Factory Outlet
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Well prices will probably have increased 10% with Brexit....

But there does seem to be a few on Dell outlet if you have a look at Dell Factory Outlet
      Dell and a few others did say they were putting their prices up in July due to Brexit. I don't think it was 10% thought.
      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Dell and a few others did say they were putting their prices up in July due to Brexit. I don't think it was 10% thought.
        I do see here
        merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Have had a couple of Acers with no problem at all. The Wife (tm) is using my old one when she wants to work remotely - it's over 10 years old. The one I replaced it with must be 7+ now. I've upgraded the memory in both and changed the hard drive in one but they are still going strong.
          Might be cheap rubbish to some snobs, but if it functions and meets the requirements, it's worth a punt. Also, you can buy them from John Lewis and get points/2 year guarantee or get them from Tesco/etc for points.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
            Have had a couple of Acers with no problem at all.
            Well perhaps I should consider Acer then. I'm afraid I've always thought of them as being a bit shoddy but I'm happy to admit I'm wrong. Tx.

Comment

I've had three Asus laptops, including current one with i7 and 16GB RAM. Super stable, never failed or crashed.

I only buy ASUS now.

Comment

Asus is very close to anus....

Got Fujitsu (?) laptop livebook - 8 Gb RAM, SSD,15" screen - battery life is excellent, spent couole of hours in taverna and still 7-8 hours left

Check it out on ebuyer - around 750 ex VAT

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  around 750 ex VAT
                  Thanks, but that in the zone she doesn't want to pay

Comment

Originally posted by Platypus View Post
                    Thanks, but that in the zone she doesn't want to pay
                    She wants you to buy her laptop for more than she'd spend herself...

Comment

Working...
                    X