• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Development LAptop - Windows 7 or Windows 10???

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jaffab View Post
    So I have decided... back to Windows 7 for me. Windows 10 adds nothing for me. As I type, I am just backing up the Recovery drive of the laptop now - just in case I cant find the drivers I need.

The reason is, I forgot that Windows 10 Home does not come with various software such as RDC (which I use a lot) and AD connection. Now yes, I *could* get Windows 10 pro by Installing Windows 7 pro then doing the update, BUT...

1) That's a double OS install - who has time for that?
    2) I never trust an OS which has had another OS put on top of it.

If you want to see what I mean about upgrading one OS to another, this is a very interesting video of windows upgrades, from Windows V1 all the way through...

What Andy's working on: Chain of fools : Upgrading through every version of Windows
    You don't need to do all that. Just use your Win7 Pro licence key when you do a fresh install Win10 Pro - How to install and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows - Microsoft Community

As I mentioned you might as well bite the bullet now that you have the chance now as it will be more painful later on.

Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by redgiant View Post
      You don't need to do all that. Just use your Win7 Pro licence key when you do a fresh install Win10 Pro - How to install and activate Windows 10 using your Windows 7 or Windows - Microsoft Community

As I mentioned you might as well bite the bullet now that you have the chance now as it will be more painful later on.

Good luck
      What redgiant said...

Also, if you're not too fond of the UI of Windows 10, you can always run something like Classic Shell (Classic Shell - Start menu and other Windows enhancements) to give you back some of your familiar Start Menu and other enhancements from previous versions of Windows.

Or, you could just stop being a luddite and accept that Windows 10 is here to stay and that Windows 7 is going away, quicker now than ever... It's already been out of Microsoft's mainstream support for over 18 months!
      Last edited by billybiro; 23 June 2016, 11:50.

Comment

Originally posted by billybiro View Post
        Also, if you're not too fond of the UI of Windows 10, you can always run something like Classic Shell
        Thing is I don't agree an IT worker can afford to get stuck in the past like this. We have to be able to stay current, not reminisce about Windows XP and Word "before they ruined it with the Ribbon"
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Ha ha.

OP here (again). Ignore my 'sticking with Win7' comment. In the end, bit the bullet and went with Win10. Reinstalled from scratch then fought with the Win10/MS upgrade system to get it to upgrade to Pro.

Its mot as pretty as Win7, but some of the features are ok. Had various battles to get some software installed (SQL 2008 did not want to install without net framework 3.5, and 3.5 would not install as the Win10 web link to the download does not work), but most of it is running ok now.

The Win10 start button is not helpful. I am not talking about the layout of the new menu, I mean that sometimes it just does not respond. Dam annoying. Various threads around the interweb of people having the same problem.... alsomost as if its a bolt on to Windows eigh... sorry 10 at the last minute.

Thanks all.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            Thing is I don't agree an IT worker can afford to get stuck in the past like this. We have to be able to stay current, not reminisce about Windows XP and Word "before they ruined it with the Ribbon"
            Current client co is still on XP *sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by jaffab View Post
              The reason is, I forgot that Windows 10 Home does not come with various software such as RDC (which I use a lot) and AD connection.

It does have RDC as far as the client to connect to other servers or W10Pro machines that have the host capability.

Only thing I'm really missing is lack of bitlocker on the Home version. Just for the peace of mind if some scrote burgles the place. I may not have that much that is truly sensitive on my PC but it's the unknown of what they could do with the stuff. As Clarkson found out when he put his bank account details online offering out anyone to do anything but put money into his account, and subsequently getting done over via identity theft and signed up to donate £500 to a charity via a direct debit.

I may just move all sensitive info to an encrypted USB flash drive (some come with inbuilt hardware encryption) as next best thing. Though cost of one of those is probably not far off a W10 Pro licence.
              Maybe tomorrow, I'll want to settle down. Until tomorrow, I'll just keep moving on.

Comment

Working...
              X