• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Network connection to Annex - wired vs wireless

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Network connection to Annex - wired vs wireless

Just installed some Ubiquiti APs at home, including one in an annex which is separate from the main house (about 10 meters away).

Currently I have some Cat5 cable running from the main house to the annex (down the external side of the house, then in some conduit under the driveway. The AP is powered by POE off a switch in the main house - all works well currently.

But ... I noted that the existing Cat5 cables are damaged - the cover has split, exposing the inner cables. Looks like the guy who I got to install the cable didn't use decent external grade stuff.

Initial thought was just to replace the existing cable with some decent external stuff. Would also stick in some lightning/surge protectors, as there is no protection currently. The chances of getting a lightning strike are probably slim, but then the protectors are pretty cheap (compared to the kit that could get fried).

But ... also looked at removing the cable runs and using point-to-point wireless links. Then I could do away with the cables. I've got a POE injector, so would run the annex AP off that.

The PTP links seem a little overkill for what is a ~10m gap, but it saves the cable runs down the house.

Not considering using power lines. Ditched those a few years ago due to inconsistency.

Can't decide which way to go !

Working...
X