• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Boosting wifi in a large house

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    An advantage of having three separate wifi's is that you can change the password on the one the kids like to use in their rooms if you need to sanction them for something.
    Then they hook up a 3G hotspot, or use Kali to hack next doors Wifi. Don't underestimate the little swines!

Comment

The power line stuff works a treat. (Wiring permitting) I'm using Tp-Link ones with wifi extenders.

One think to note. If you set them up to extend one Sid network, if you use wifi calling on your iPhone it will Bork the call if you accidentally cross between wireless points.

Comment

The trouble with giving them all the same SSID is that they don't really join up at all, and you can be connected to the one in the kitchen when you're upstairs, as opposed to the upstairs one.

Instead, give them really clear names - "lounge", "upstairs", "garden" etc. and manually move between them
        ⭐️ Gold Star Contractor

Comment

Different SSID & different channels. Space them out across the range so there is minimal interference.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Have you tried a Tin foil redirector? On most routers, the signal gets beamed out in all directions (360 to power 360 degrees) - so if your router is against an outside wall, a lot of the signal is beaming in directions you don't want/need. Putting a sheet of silver foil against the wall will reflect the signal back in the direction you want. If you have an antenna, you can make a disk type rig as shown here...

Make a Wi-Fi Extender

Comment

have to give a +1 to the Powerline option stay away from the cheep wifi boosters and go for Powerline kit that takes a feed from your main router to the ring main and then use 2 or more powerline wifi extenders you can pick up a 3 pack kit for not lot

extreme option is to change all you power sockets to ones with build in Powerline Adapters but at £200 each may be cheaper to have the house rewired

Comment

Originally posted by jaffab View Post
                Have you tried a Tin foil redirector? On most routers, the signal gets beamed out in all directions (360 to power 360 degrees) - so if your router is against an outside wall, a lot of the signal is beaming in directions you don't want/need. Putting a sheet of silver foil against the wall will reflect the signal back in the direction you want. If you have an antenna, you can make a disk type rig as shown here...

Make a Wi-Fi Extender

Thanks.

Has the added advantage of looking really good too .

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
                  Thanks.

Has the added advantage of looking really good too .

And any left over, you can make into a fashionable hat.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                    And any left over, you can make into a fashionable hat.
                    True, but I had already assumed the poster would be already wearing one, in any case
                    The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Ubiquiti

I used to have an old netgear WAP in the upstairs spare room of my house (<1800 farmhouse/barn conversion) - this WAP packed in recently and was on the lookout for some kind of repeater thingimywatsit to replace it - after some browsing I came across this

Ubiquiti Networks UAP-LR AP Long Range Router

Read reviews on Amazon. Well I can say it works fantastic even reaching 'through' into the kitchen through 20"+ stone walls some of which are lined with foil backed insulation.

Sat outside in the yard signal from the Ubiquiti is excellent - definitely worth the money.

I should add that living in the middle of nowhere general internet speed over rural wireless connection is pretty crap to start with (but the view is nice and my dog is happy)

Comment

Working...
                      X