• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Set up a local SQL Server DB on my dev box

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set up a local SQL Server DB on my dev box

I'm developing in C# in Visual Studio 2013, and I want to create a simple SQLServer DB mirroring one the software will talk to - a few tables and a handful of dummy stored procs.

I've done a fair bit of C# and SQL but I don't know SQLServer and the built-in Visual Studio tools, so it's unclear to me how I can most easily get these stored procs running on my dev-box so I can run my code locally. I can install SQLServer Express but do I actually need to run a full DB environment, or does Visual Studio provide some neat way of running up a trivial DB for me when my application starts up? Running SQLServer seems a bit heavyweight when I want little more than 5 stored-procs that return hard-coded values!

Visual Studio's DB connection, datasources, SQL server database project type, are confusing me as to what the easy/good way to do this is... and it's too broad a question to ask on StackOverflow. Can anyone advise me?
    Last edited by d000hg; 19 April 2016, 14:20.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I'm developing in C# in Visual Studio 2013, and I want to create a simple SQLServer DB mirroring one the software will talk to - a few tables and a handful of dummy stored procs.

I've done a fair bit of C# and SQL but I don't know SQLServer and the built-in Visual Studio tools, so it's unclear to me how I can most easily get these stored procs running on my dev-box so I can run my code locally. I can install SQLServer Express but do I actually need to run a full DB environment, or does Visual Studio provide some neat way of running up a trivial DB for me when my application starts up? Running SQLServer seems a bit heavyweight when I want little more than 5 stored-procs that return hard-coded values!

Visual Studio's DB connection, datasources, SQL server database project type, are confusing me as to what the easy/good way to do this is... and it's too broad a question to ask on StackOverflow. Can anyone advise me?
    Use LocalDB it is just a file but mimics SQL Server you can access it through VS interface.

/thread

Comment

I've come across LocalDB - seen examples of connection strings and MDF files - but not understood how it fits into VS i.e. how do I actually create a LocalDB DB, do I need any other software installed beyond VS, etc.

Got a link to a tutorial or even a good Google search term? Once I get started I'll be fine but I don't know exactly what the question is I want to ask!

Comment

I've come across LocalDB - seen examples of connection strings and MDF files - but not understood how it fits into VS i.e. how do I actually create a LocalDB DB, do I need any other software installed beyond VS, etc.

Got a link to a tutorial or even a good Google search term? Once I get started I'll be fine but I don't know exactly what the question is I want to ask!
        It should come with visual studio and should already be installed. Try connecting via Server Explorer

Comment

AFAIAA, SQL Express won't do DB Mirroring, you'll need Developer Edition for that (if I understand correctly that's what you want to do).

And one month after I purchased SQL 2014 developer, M$ announces it is now free.

qh
          He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
            AFAIAA, SQL Express won't do DB Mirroring, you'll need Developer Edition for that (if I understand correctly that's what you want to do).

And one month after I purchased SQL 2014 developer, M$ announces it is now free.

qh
            Inasmuch as I understand what you mean, I don't think my needs require anything so fancy. This is purely so I can run my C# code on my dev box and the stored proc/table it wants to interact exists. It's not even a test DB, just a local throwaway one that can/should be destroyed/created when I launch VS for all I care. Almost the same principle as SQLLite but it needs to be actual SQLServer.

Comment

Inasmuch as I understand what you mean, I don't think my needs require anything so fancy. This is purely so I can run my C# code on my dev box and the stored proc/table it wants to interact exists. It's not even a test DB, just a local throwaway one that can/should be destroyed/created when I launch VS for all I care. Almost the same principle as SQLLite but it needs to be actual SQLServer.
              So why won't the express version do what you need?
              Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post

qh
                oh ta for that!
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
                  So why won't the express version do what you need?
                  I don't think I even need the Express edition, that's rather the point - I want to use LocalDB which is part of VS.

I've set up a SQL Server VS project and upon publishing it runs up a DB instance but seemingly against SQLServer (which I apparently installed in the past) not LocalDB. I see localhost and LocalDB listed as DB servers but I can't seem to tell VS to deploy my DB project to LocalDB.

Since it's working (I think) on my box I might not care so much, it's just a little non-obvious how you're supposed to do this.

Comment

Working...
                  X