• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Testing Question - What do you call this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing Question - What do you call this?

You are a developing a system which needs to interface to another system. You don't however want to use a test version of the second system, so you build a dummy that has limited functionality sufficient to permit you to do primary system testing.

Now the question is what do you call the dummy system?

I've seen 'double', 'fake', 'mock', 'stub' and others.

I think experts will say there are accepted definitions, only they don't agree amongst themselves what they are. So it's a question of what you personally think is the best term.

The reason I ask this is if you are getting outside parties to develop functions that interface to financial services back office packages or bespoke systems (like insurance or mortgages), it can be very expensive in terms of time, infrastructure, licensing, support etc to create a proper test instance. Worse that that, you potentially expose too much of your proprietary business rules, processes, prices etc to someone who might go sniffing around places of no business to them. If on the other hand you just use very limited calls (which is what 'stub' and 'mock' suggest to me), you unnecessarily miss out on a lot of useful integration coverage.

Do you use this kind of thing?
    "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

I've only heard 'stub' - i.e. 'stubbing it out', etc....

Comment

Sounds like the short cut, "saving money" approach that has real potential to go wrong and actually cost a fecking fortune.
      Especially as the outside parties, you describe, are likely to be offshore.
      The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Sounds like you have a <name of system being simulated> 'simulator'. The function availability should be defined.

'stub' can be a substitute code function, typically empty, say for an otherwise incomplete project to build.

'mock' can be for demonstrating look and feel of a product prior to full implementation, say a dummy GUI with no real functionality behind it.

Comment

Mock.
          Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Mainly stub, sometimes mock
            Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
            I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
              Sounds like the short cut, "saving money" approach that has real potential to go wrong and actually cost a fecking fortune.
              Especially as the outside parties, you describe, are likely to be offshore.
              Not really, you mainly use stubs on dev and sometimes system test, not all interfaces you work with have test environments themselves.

The stub just simulates a happy path call so you can check that was should be returned by the live system is accepted into your new system.

If you have never come across a stub before you are either not a tester, or a crap code monkey
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

FTFY

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
                'mock' can be for demonstrating look and feel of a product purely as an attempt to grab more budget, as the project, in reality, is going really badly. There will be a damp squib of an implementation, prior to the PM moving on. Say a dummy GUI with no real, or attainable, functionality behind it.
                The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                  Mock.
                  This ^^
                  In Scooter we trust

Comment

It's an incomplete test instance. Badge it how you want; you're just rolling a turd in glitter and hoping it shines.
                    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                    X