• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Testing Question - What do you call this?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Not really, you mainly use stubs on dev and sometimes system test, not all interfaces you work with have test environments themselves.

The stub just simulates a happy path call so you can check that was should be returned by the live system is accepted into your new system.

If you have never come across a stub before you are either not a tester, or a crap code monkey
    This ^^

A good example of a system to stub out in dev or perf test would be Equifax/Experian.

Anyone who claims incomplete testing in this scenario is either ignorant or retarded (or both).

BTW, It's 'stub'
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
      It's an incomplete test instance. Badge it how you want; you're just rolling a turd in glitter and hoping it shines.
      When I was on a PCI project you can't put though real credit cards to test payment, most merchant services won't let you connect a dev/integration test environment to their systems to use their test end point, what do you do?

As its not UAT you don't need the rigour of testing against the live endpoint so you stub it, if you think this is "rolling a turd in glitter and hoping it shines" I really hope you are just a support bod and not let anywhere near a development project
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

stub++

Comment

When I was on a PCI project you can't put though real credit cards to test payment, most merchant services won't let you connect a dev/integration test environment to their systems to use their test end point, what do you do?

As its not UAT you don't need the rigour of testing against the live endpoint so you stub it, if you think this is "rolling a turd in glitter and hoping it shines" I really hope you are just a support bod and not let anywhere near a development project
          Way to judge someone.

The OP is looking at a system integration test.
          The first thing I'd look at is acceptance criteria, which would then drive what functionality of the ancilliary system is needed in the cut down version. It's a barebones effort to cover that functionality that is required. How easy it is to create such a thing is a guess to anyone not involved in the project, yet you're prattling on about PCI card acceptances. Sockie much?
          The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Way to judge someone.

The OP is looking at a system integration test.
            The first thing I'd look at is acceptance criteria, which would then drive what functionality of the ancilliary system is needed in the cut down version. It's a barebones effort to cover that functionality that is required. How easy it is to create such a thing is a guess to anyone not involved in the project, yet you're prattling on about PCI card acceptances. Sockie much?
            You state the OP is looking at integration test but you start prattling on about acceptance testing. Dumbass much?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

And so on ad infinitum

I agree it's always a bit dangerous when you start talking about simulating things. I remember reading a book on Test Automation which of course started talking about once you build test systems to drive real systems to test them, you are now into the territory of testing the test system and potentially writing automated regression tests of the automated tester.

Then you might want to test the automated test system that tests the automated test system...

To me a stub is where you insert some kind of class or mock that pretends to call a service (like a card acquirer) but actually just returns some data that the program can continue with. There's not a world of difference, I can see, in instead calling a running simulator service and getting back the same test data from that, but it just seems more comforting. And maybe more re-usable (less sensitive to particular platforms, environments etc.)
              "Don't part with your illusions; when they are gone you may still exist, but you have ceased to live" Mark Twain

Comment

You state the OP is looking at integration test but you start prattling on about acceptance testing. Dumbass much?
                I talked about acceptance criteria, not acceptance testing. Who interviewed you, Bee?

To pass SIT, it needs to meet certain acceptance criteria.

I'd try and dumb it down further but my nephew's crayons aren't available at the moment.
                The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

What time does the second half start?

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                    What time does the second half start?
                    If numbnuts has learned to read over lunch, match should be abandoned at half time.

Comment

I talked about acceptance criteria, not acceptance testing. Who interviewed you, Bee?

To pass SIT, it needs to meet certain acceptance criteria.

I'd try and dumb it down further but my nephew's crayons aren't available at the moment.
                      If the acceptance criteria of your SIT is full end to end testing that god help your project budgets!

Comment

Working...
                      X