• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Nameserver the same as DNS A Record?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Nameserver the same as DNS A Record?

Registering a new domain to use as a url shortner, will use bit.ly for the actual shortening.

Bit.ly has the instructions

2. SET UP YOUR DNS
    Set your DNS A Record to make your Branded Short Domain point to 69.58.188.49
    When I register the domain with my provider, if I put the IP in as the Nameserver is this the same thing?
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Registering a new domain to use as a url shortner, will use bit.ly for the actual shortening.

Bit.ly has the instructions

2. SET UP YOUR DNS
    Set your DNS A Record to make your Branded Short Domain point to 69.58.188.49
    When I register the domain with my provider, if I put the IP in as the Nameserver is this the same thing?
    Nope. Use the domain provider's own nameserver (that should be the default).

Your provider's nameserver should let you configure an A record for yourdomain.com (no www) to point to the bit ly IP address.

According to this page you may also create a CNAME record for www subdomain to point to cname.bitly.com

A records point to IP addresses. CNAME records point to a name. NS delegates to another nameserver (and not what you want). Btw, I had to read that link to get your question, some assumptions made - HTH.

Comment

Originally posted by Contreras View Post
      Nope. Use the domain provider's own nameserver (that should be the default).

Your provider's nameserver should let you configure an A record for yourdomain.com (no www) to point to the bit ly IP address.

According to this page you may also create a CNAME record for www subdomain to point to cname.bitly.com

A records point to IP addresses. CNAME records point to a name. NS delegates to another nameserver (and not what you want). Btw, I had to read that link to get your question, some assumptions made - HTH.
      Cheers, I found that page, just waiting for the change to take effect then will spend the rest of the day making sure it works
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
      X