• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Computer turning itself on

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
    My computer doesn't have an "OFF" option. Just shutdown. After shutdown it can be woken by a magic packet, by pressing the power button (which is a toggle switch, not a switch that has the power going through it) and PCs can still be set up to be switched on by a PS/2 keyboard (not sure if that works for USB).

It's not OFF. According to my power-meter plug thingy my old desktop was still using 1W when "OFF".
    Most desktops have a toggle switch on the PSU at the back, that is truly off. The power button as you say is for sleep/hibernate, not off in the true sense.

Comment

Originally posted by anonymouse View Post
      "...and it has for years worked fine."

Time for a new one then?
      What do you mean?

The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

Originally posted by VectraMan View Post
        My computer doesn't have an "OFF" option. Just shutdown. After shutdown it can be woken by a magic packet, by pressing the power button (which is a toggle switch, not a switch that has the power going through it) and PCs can still be set up to be switched on by a PS/2 keyboard (not sure if that works for USB).

It's not OFF. According to my power-meter plug thingy my old desktop was still using 1W when "OFF".
        Fair point.

Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
        Most desktops have a toggle switch on the PSU at the back, that is truly off. The power button as you say is for sleep/hibernate, not off in the true sense.
        Hibernate IS off, as much as shut-down is off based on VM's wise words. Hibernate saves the RAM state to disk and then shuts down. But we quibble.
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
        X