• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dual Sim Phones

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dual Sim Phones

How do they work?

I understand the principle, one phone, two SIM cards so can be on different carriers, but how are the carriers prioritised?

Looking for a new dumb phone for agents and clients etc. but also thinking if I get a dual SIM phone, can I stick my Spanish SIM in it for when I go over there and use the one handset, but don't want to be stung of Spanish charges in the UK and vice versa, but will be handy to have both at the same time
    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    How do they work?

I understand the principle, one phone, two SIM cards so can be on different carriers, but how are the carriers prioritised?

Looking for a new dumb phone for agents and clients etc. but also thinking if I get a dual SIM phone, can I stick my Spanish SIM in it for when I go over there and use the one handset, but don't want to be stung of Spanish charges in the UK and vice versa, but will be handy to have both at the same time
    You've got two options.

Dual Active.
    Phones that supports both SIM cards in parallel. These cost more but allow you to receive calls on both cards and choose which one you want to make calls with when you dial the number.

Dual Standby.
    Get a cheaper phone that only ever has one SIM card active at a time. You have to manually switch between them in the phone settings. The main advantage is that you don't need to manually sward the cards out.

Good review of what's available here.
    20 Best dual-SIM smartphones | 20 Best dual-SIM phone reviews - Test Centre - PC Advisor
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      You've got two options.

Dual Active.
      Phones that supports both SIM cards in parallel. These cost more but allow you to receive calls on both cards and choose which one you want to make calls with when you dial the number.

Dual Standby.
      Get a cheaper phone that only ever has one SIM card active at a time. You have to manually switch between them in the phone settings. The main advantage is that you don't need to manually sward the cards out.

Good review of what's available here.
      20 Best dual-SIM smartphones | 20 Best dual-SIM phone reviews - Test Centre - PC Advisor
      Looks like the phone I want has Active, which is a surprise as its a cheapo candy bar phone

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

3 offer free roaming (including data) in Spain - why not just go with them? Calls back to UK numbers are off your normal allowance; calls made to numbers in Spain (including other UK mobiles) are local rate. I like to travel and that is one of the main reasons I stuck with 3. Spain was just added to their free roaming list last year; hopefully more EU countries will follow. USA and Israel are also on the list which was great for my last two holidays abroad.

Comment

One of my contractor colleagues here at ClientCo lives in Spain most of the time. His phone contract is with EE and his calls are included
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

I'm not surprised other carriers are following suit. I guess if you want two phone numbers but only one handset it makes sense, but I can't see using a dual sim phone for roaming purposes alone unless you're spending a lot of time in a country with massive roaming charges.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              One of my contractor colleagues here at ClientCo lives in Spain most of the time. His phone contract is with EE and his calls are included
              Yeah, I have seen that, there are about 17 countries that are included, Spain has only recently been added to the list. Its called EE Extra, only works on calls and text though
              Last edited by SimonMac; 4 February 2016, 14:27.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
                Yeah, I have seen that, there are about 17 countries that are included, Spain has only recently been added to the list. Its called EE Extra, only works on calls and text though
                Three includes data, which is great as I use FaceTime and iMessage to call family/friends. You just need to make sure you have an appropriately sized data plan. The SIM only ones are pretty decent; after my two-year deal finishes I'll switch to one of those with 5-10gb which should be plenty.

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                  I'm not surprised other carriers are following suit. I guess if you want two phone numbers but only one handset it makes sense, but I can't see using a dual sim phone for roaming purposes alone unless you're spending a lot of time in a country with massive roaming charges.
                  I have property in both the UK and Spain, so go to Spain a lot, I needed a Spanish number for people to call when I am over there, also when I signed up to the bank etc it was a requirement, so at the moment I have three phones.

Personal = iPhone
                  "Work" Phone = Lumia 435
                  Spanish = Very old school unlocked Samsung Note which battery lasts about an hour!

If I can combine 2 & 3 into one handset that has a cracking battery life but no functions that would save me a headache

Comment

Originally posted by seanraaron View Post
                    Three includes data, which is great as I use FaceTime and iMessage to call family/friends. You just need to make sure you have an appropriately sized data plan. The SIM only ones are pretty decent; after my two-year deal finishes I'll switch to one of those with 5-10gb which should be plenty.
                    Scrap that, Three was what I was thinking but they can't do business tarrifs, didn't know EE did it too

Comment

Working...
                    X