• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Home Entertainment - Plex and NAS

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Whats the best way (cheapest) to get Plex onto a TV?
    Cheapest would be Amazon Fire.

AppleTV 3 seems to have a better front end.

Its available directly on most samsung TVs though and Android TV's (whichever brand sells those)..
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
      Cheapest would be Amazon Fire.

AppleTV 3 seems to have a better front end.

Its available directly on most samsung TVs though and Android TV's (whichever brand sells those)..
      I assume Chromecast is cheaper, but its a crappy interface you need to use your phone to use rather than the Amazon Fire which comes with a remote?
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

I use it with a Chromecast controlled via an app on Android tablet (which I think I had to pay a couple of quid for).

My LG TV will do it via DLNA, as would my 5-year old Sony, though the interface in both is really poor. There is a Plex app I can install on the LG, but the reviews are mixed so I haven't bothered.
        Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

I assume Chromecast is cheaper, but its a crappy interface you need to use your phone to use rather than the Amazon Fire which comes with a remote?
          What put me off the Fire Stick was that it came with another crappy remote. Using a phone/tablet to control the telly is great; the interface is the same HTML interface you get on your PC.
          Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Many smart TV OSes have a Plex client app for them that just need installing, PS3, PS4, X-box 360, X-box One all have the client app. Chances are you already have one of these.

Short of that amazon fire stick - with full GUI or Google Chrome where you have to navigate the UI on another device like tablet or phone are the cheapest options.

Comment

With a Fire Stick etc, can you just play the media without having to pay any more (for example having to pay for the iOS app to play more than 1 minute)
              Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
              I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Why do you think I didn't suggest it....

Yep you need to use a phone for a chromecast. FireTV is £25 today assuming you don't want 4k or voice control.

Comment

Whats the best way (cheapest) to get Plex onto a TV?
                  NowTV (if your TV doesn't do it natively) - good deals at Tesco and Argos at the moment.
                  First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. But Gandhi never had to deal with HMRC

Comment

With a Fire Stick etc, can you just play the media without having to pay any more (for example having to pay for the iOS app to play more than 1 minute)
                    I believe so. I wouldn't know I pay the £4 a month to "family" accounts..

Comment

Dlink DNS320 (£60) + Sata drive or two (£40 / 2TB) plus mini DLNA $2 from the chappie who does all the dlink
                      apps.

so £100

+ £25 fire stick with downloader & Kodi (Easier Interface I can set up multiple DLNA servers with sensible display names) or VLC (Quicker but have to search for DLNA server - I have loads set up so it can be confusing)

each tv add another fire stick.

Rip using Handbrake & shrink with MakeMkv get movies down to < 700MB at reasonable quality or 2-3GB at original quality. So 500 - 1200 movies on 2TB.

CDs I ripped using windows media player set to FLAC lossless I have 400GB of music that I can play anywhere in the house via DLNA or Squeezebox. Will soon be able to play via Alexa - I hope!
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X