• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Best "Power" laptop, dual screens, docking ?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best "Power" laptop, dual screens, docking ?

Asking for a friend. He's looking for a powerful laptop for CAD work which can be docked and supports dual screens. Budget up to approx £1500 excl. the screens. The laptop itself needs to be robust enough for travel, probs not a 17" model as it needs to be actually portable. Must be Windows.

Advice appreciated.

Alienware 14? Alienware 14 Laptop Details | Dell UK

I know it's a gaming machine but as both CAD and games need grunt and graphics it may be the way to go..
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

For CAD work your friend will be wanting the ability to drive ultra HD monitors I suspect (something like Samsung U28D590 28" 4K 60Hz LED Monitor - Ebuyer), so display port output I'd say is a must.

So that would limit the laptop choice.

XPS 15 Touch Screen Laptop Details | Dell UK

Would do the job and is bang on budget.

Comment

Thanks, these are both great recommendations

Comment

Although the Dell XPS 15 appears not to have a docking port

Comment

If your friend is using CAD then the Dell Precision workstations may be better, especially if doing 3D work. They are ISV certified so work better with AutoCAD and the like. The version of the XPS 15 is the m3800 or for something with more ports the m4800 looks good. I'm currently trying to decide between the 2 myself though the portability of the m3800 is looking very appealing.

The m3800 uses a USB docking station and the m4800 has a proper port extender.

Also they are much cheaper on Dell Outlet and if your friend isn't too bothered about a US keyboard they can be had from the states fairly cheap too on Ebay. I believe the 3 year business warranty is internationally transferable so no worries about failures.

Comment

Working...
            X