+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 32
  1. #11

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    7
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    It's often not as straightforward as that. There are wards at the local hospital that are run completely by agency nurses at night. One of those nurses has to be in charge and supervise the others which is where a blanket decision doesn't work.

  2. #12

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    31,969
    Thanks (Given)
    129
    Thanks (Received)
    1152
    Likes (Given)
    1585
    Likes (Received)
    5435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw70 View Post
    It's often not as straightforward as that. There are wards at the local hospital that are run completely by agency nurses at night. One of those nurses has to be in charge and supervise the others which is where a blanket decision doesn't work.
    But surely if it's run completely by agency nurses many if not most should be inside IR35 because they are doing the job of a permie.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  3. #13

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    7
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    3

    Default

    I think if they had fixed contracts then yes. The thing is because they are ad hoc staff and might only do one shift at that hospital I'm not sure where mutuality of obligation fits into this, if at all. NHS improvements released an update following a legal challenge stating that all NHS bodies must assess each worker individually but it's just not happening on the ground.

  4. #14
    eek
    eek is offline

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    21,593
    Thanks (Given)
    216
    Thanks (Received)
    1075
    Likes (Given)
    967
    Likes (Received)
    3258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    But surely if it's run completely by agency nurses many if not most should be inside IR35 because they are doing the job of a permie.
    Not quite - if all night shifts are done by agency staff there is no permie doing a similar job...
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  5. #15
    eek
    eek is offline

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    21,593
    Thanks (Given)
    216
    Thanks (Received)
    1075
    Likes (Given)
    967
    Likes (Received)
    3258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chrisw70 View Post
    I think if they had fixed contracts then yes. The thing is because they are ad hoc staff and might only do one shift at that hospital I'm not sure where mutuality of obligation fits into this, if at all. NHS improvements released an update following a legal challenge stating that all NHS bodies must assess each worker individually but it's just not happening on the ground.
    If someone is there for a single shift its a lot of work for zero benefit....

    To be blunt its someone doing a job where permanent people would (in an ideal world) be employed. Hence (personally) its more likely to be inside than outside.... One reason why its become such a bug bear is that contracting without the hassle of admin and responsibility is for many NHS workers both far more profitable and far less stressful to the point that something had to be done to reverse the one way traffic.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  6. #16

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    31,969
    Thanks (Given)
    129
    Thanks (Received)
    1152
    Likes (Given)
    1585
    Likes (Received)
    5435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Not quite - if all night shifts are done by agency staff there is no permie doing a similar job...
    I see what you are saying but that just doesn't make sense. You have to assume that the plan is for permies to be doing it. They can't find them so it's all agency. Surely they can't have a policy that only agency staff work nights? That's crazy. Even that said it's an enduring role so permanent. Same role as other permies, just a different time so I'd still say they were inside even if that is their policy.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #17
    eek
    eek is offline

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    21,593
    Thanks (Given)
    216
    Thanks (Received)
    1075
    Likes (Given)
    967
    Likes (Received)
    3258

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    I see what you are saying but that just doesn't make sense. You have to assume that the plan is for permies to be doing it. They can't find them so it's all agency. Surely they can't have a policy that only agency staff work nights? That's crazy. Even that said it's an enduring role so permanent. Same role as other permies, just a different time so I'd still say they were inside even if that is their policy.
    Sarcasm never works online. My point was that I'm dubious as to how many healthcare related nhs roles are really outside.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  8. #18

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    23
    Thanks (Given)
    8
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    These things cost ALOT of money. As I pointed out recently, one should be wary of any advisers with no skin in the game.

    You need LOTS and LOTS of people with VERY deep pockets.

    The legal "profession" seems only interested in lining its own pockets.

    Be afraid. Be very afraid.

  9. #19

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    31,969
    Thanks (Given)
    129
    Thanks (Received)
    1152
    Likes (Given)
    1585
    Likes (Received)
    5435

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Sarcasm never works online. My point was that I'm dubious as to how many healthcare related nhs roles are really outside.
    Oh.. Oops. Didn't spot that but yes, totally agree.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  10. #20

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    24,740
    Thanks (Given)
    894
    Thanks (Received)
    855
    Likes (Given)
    4008
    Likes (Received)
    3455

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    I see what you are saying but that just doesn't make sense. You have to assume that the plan is for permies to be doing it. They can't find them so it's all agency. Surely they can't have a policy that only agency staff work nights? That's crazy. Even that said it's an enduring role so permanent. Same role as other permies, just a different time so I'd still say they were inside even if that is their policy.
    I've spoken to nursing friends' and family over the years.

    Hospitals try and put the permie staff on at the most expensive times e.g. bank holidays, so the plan is to always put permies on when they can. So yes all the roles are inside.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.