Got an offer inside IR35. Would appreciate some inputs.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    72
    Thanks (Given)
    11
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Given)
    39
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default Got an offer inside IR35. Would appreciate some inputs.

    After being in bench for 7 weeks, my patience ran out and have accepted a role inside IR35 paying 550 (less than my previous rate which was outside). Agent has provided me info for an umbrella company that they recommend. As it is away from home, it would be a weekly commute back to home.

    Having searched here and on the net, I am not getting a clear picture on whether I can claim travelling and accommodation expenses.

    Would appreciate some input. Thanks

  2. #2

    Double Godlike!


    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    10,455
    Thanks (Given)
    767
    Thanks (Received)
    752
    Likes (Given)
    4986
    Likes (Received)
    2890

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brummie View Post
    After being in bench for 7 weeks, my patience ran out and have accepted a role inside IR35 paying 550 (less than my previous rate which was outside). Agent has provided me info for an umbrella company that they recommend. As it is away from home, it would be a weekly commute back to home.

    Having searched here and on the net, I am not getting a clear picture on whether I can claim travelling and accommodation expenses.

    Would appreciate some input. Thanks
    You can't unfortunately.

  3. #3

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    72
    Thanks (Given)
    11
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Given)
    39
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    You can't unfortunately.
    Ah...Although agent said its a longer project, I guess it's going to be till I find another one. Thanks for the clarification.

  4. #4

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,780
    Thanks (Given)
    141
    Thanks (Received)
    1466
    Likes (Given)
    1780
    Likes (Received)
    6028

    Default

    Google finds lots of information.. Stuff like... Nothing unclear about it.

    Changes to travel and subsistence expenses for contractors - Accountants UK - SJD Accountancy
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  5. #5

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    72
    Thanks (Given)
    11
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Given)
    39
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post
    Google finds lots of information.. Stuff like... Nothing unclear about it.

    Changes to travel and subsistence expenses for contractors - Accountants UK - SJD Accountancy
    I did read that page
    ...who are working inside IR35, can no longer claim for travel and subsistence ...
    but it didn't state anything about accommodation.

  6. #6

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    33,780
    Thanks (Given)
    141
    Thanks (Received)
    1466
    Likes (Given)
    1780
    Likes (Received)
    6028

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brummie View Post
    I did read that page but it didn't state anything about accommodation.
    Another 10 seconds on Google and..

    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Travel_and_subsistence
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #7

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    72
    Thanks (Given)
    11
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Given)
    39
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by northernladuk View Post

  8. #8

    Godlike

    BoredBloke's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    whereever the work is
    Posts
    7,005
    Thanks (Given)
    8
    Thanks (Received)
    19
    Likes (Given)
    8
    Likes (Received)
    148

    Default

    You are being taxed like an employee. Perhaps the 'employer' should pay for your accommodation or renegotiate your rate to get it included.
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

    I preferred version 1!

  9. #9

    Super poster


    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Posts
    2,152
    Thanks (Given)
    33
    Thanks (Received)
    100
    Likes (Given)
    707
    Likes (Received)
    747

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BoredBloke View Post
    You are being taxed like an employee. Perhaps the 'employer' should pay for your accommodation or renegotiate your rate to get it included.
    ^^ This. Get them to fork out for your expenses like they would if they were sending an employee to London who say was domiciled at their Newcastle office. Oh and don't use the brolly your pimp is recommending, kickbacks galore there.

  10. #10

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    72
    Thanks (Given)
    11
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Given)
    39
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    ^^ This. Get them to fork out for your expenses like they would if they were sending an employee to London who say was domiciled at their Newcastle office. Oh and don't use the brolly your pimp is recommending, kickbacks galore there.
    Could you/anyone please recommend one. My contract is being drafted as I write this. As I have no choice at the moment other than accepting the gig, if anyone is already using an umbrella inside IR35 could throw in some names. Known devil is better than an unknown angel :-).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.