+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Posts 11 to 20 of 68
  1. #11

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Posts
    10
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oliverson View Post
    There's just no way on earth I would EVER even consider being pushed around and told I had to go on some payroll (says a guy who sucked up a few banking rate cuts in his time, but I'm older now, and ANGRIER).

    If this ever happens to the private sector, and I reckon it probably will within a year or two seeing as 'contractors' are just accepting it, then I'm out of the industry for good, and the country.
    That's the spirit - how many have just rolled over? Like I said at start, a lot of noise leading up to this - now you can see the tumbleweed blowing through this forum.

  2. #12

    Some things in Moderation

    cojak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Look to your right...
    Posts
    17,474
    Thanks (Given)
    400
    Thanks (Received)
    816
    Likes (Given)
    3615
    Likes (Received)
    2388

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AV101 View Post
    That's the spirit - how many have just rolled over? Like I said at start, a lot of noise leading up to this - now you can see the tumbleweed blowing through this forum.
    That's if you think that only contractors frequent the forum, there are a surprising number here who are permies.

    The IR35 forum was never going to be going on forever. And there will always be TPD...

  3. #13

    More time posting than coding


    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    481
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    15
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    139

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AV101 View Post
    That's the spirit - how many have just rolled over? Like I said at start, a lot of noise leading up to this - now you can see the tumbleweed blowing through this forum.
    And you can imagine the Revenue reflecting on this in a few months time - "hmm, that was pretty easy, and look at all this tax rolling in. We should apply this to the private sector. April 2018?"

  4. #14

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    29
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oliverson View Post
    And you can imagine the Revenue reflecting on this in a few months time - "hmm, that was pretty easy, and look at all this tax rolling in. We should apply this to the private sector. April 2018?"
    The public sector organisations and a lot of the agencies have really helped to make it so successful. Blanket bans, changing determinations at the last minute, herding people into umbrella companies.

  5. #15

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,251
    Thanks (Given)
    348
    Thanks (Received)
    1134
    Likes (Given)
    3372
    Likes (Received)
    2813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoughriggFell View Post
    The public sector organisations and a lot of the agencies have really helped to make it so successful. Blanket bans, changing determinations at the last minute, herding people into umbrella companies.
    If people are working through an umbrella company, then there is no evidence for HMRC to be able to show that this measure brings in any more tax.
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  6. #16

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    29
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    If people are working through an umbrella company, then there is no evidence for HMRC to be able to show that this measure brings in any more tax.
    I don't quite understand, could you explain? I thought it would mean that everyone one was on someone's payroll, and the number of PSC's would reduce, both things that HMRC would show as a success.

  7. #17

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,251
    Thanks (Given)
    348
    Thanks (Received)
    1134
    Likes (Given)
    3372
    Likes (Received)
    2813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoughriggFell View Post
    I don't quite understand, could you explain? I thought it would mean that everyone one was on someone's payroll, and the number of PSC's would reduce, both things that HMRC would show as a success.
    How do you show the actual figure that moved? HMRC don't have the data because it's not recorded that way.

    HMRC don't know the number of PSCs (given that there is no definition of one) so won't know whether the number is increasing, decreasing or remaining static. Even if they did, the number will only reduce is people are closing their companies down whilst at the same time new companies are not being formed.
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

  8. #18

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    29
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheFaQQer View Post
    How do you show the actual figure that moved? HMRC don't have the data because it's not recorded that way.

    HMRC don't know the number of PSCs (given that there is no definition of one) so won't know whether the number is increasing, decreasing or remaining static. Even if they did, the number will only reduce is people are closing their companies down whilst at the same time new companies are not being formed.
    So for showing a statistical success the best thing for HMRC would be that the PSC's continued but with the tax deducted. A clear before and after?

  9. #19

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    22,551
    Thanks (Given)
    586
    Thanks (Received)
    601
    Likes (Given)
    3538
    Likes (Received)
    2820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoughriggFell View Post
    So for showing a statistical success the best thing for HMRC would be that the PSC's continued but with the tax deducted. A clear before and after?
    What is the legal definition of a PSC?

    How does Companies House distinguish between a company with only one director and no other employees, and a company with one director and 3 employees?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  10. #20

    Faqqed Off

    TheFaQQer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,251
    Thanks (Given)
    348
    Thanks (Received)
    1134
    Likes (Given)
    3372
    Likes (Received)
    2813

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LoughriggFell View Post
    So for showing a statistical success the best thing for HMRC would be that the PSC's continued but with the tax deducted. A clear before and after?
    Where is the data that they can use to show that?
    Best Forum Advisor, 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.