+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Starting contract after 6th April

    Hi everyone,

    I'd really appreciate someone sanity checking my logic as I am new to contracting (and most of the threads here are related to existing public sector contracts).

    I am due to start contracting (CL1 via capita) with a public sector body after 6th April. The setup is that the PSB will use Capita to engage an agency who pay my Ltd company. The PSB offer letter stipulates:

    "At all times during the assignment period you will be providing your services as an independent contractor, nothing in this letter or otherwise should be construed as creating an employment relationship between yourself and <PSB>."

    I assume this means the PSB, as the client, are declaring my contract outside IR35.

    My understanding is that the agency, being the body that pays my Ltd company, will hold liability for paying tax and employer/employee NICs should HMRC come knocking and determine the contract to actually be inside IR35.

    As such I do not see the value in IR35 insurance (either enquiry or full liability) as it will be the agency who will have to foot the bill.

    Is my logic correct or have I made a newbie blunder and missed the point completely?


    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2

    TPAFKAk2p2

    mudskipper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    24,502
    Thanks (Given)
    764
    Thanks (Received)
    1280
    Likes (Given)
    6083
    Likes (Received)
    4653

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by koopa View Post
    Hi everyone,

    I'd really appreciate someone sanity checking my logic as I am new to contracting (and most of the threads here are related to existing public sector contracts).

    I am due to start contracting (CL1 via capita) with a public sector body after 6th April. The setup is that the PSB will use Capita to engage an agency who pay my Ltd company. The PSB offer letter stipulates:

    "At all times during the assignment period you will be providing your services as an independent contractor, nothing in this letter or otherwise should be construed as creating an employment relationship between yourself and <PSB>."

    I assume this means the PSB, as the client, are declaring my contract outside IR35.

    My understanding is that the agency, being the body that pays my Ltd company, will hold liability for paying tax and employer/employee NICs should HMRC come knocking and determine the contract to actually be inside IR35.

    As such I do not see the value in IR35 insurance (either enquiry or full liability) as it will be the agency who will have to foot the bill.

    Is my logic correct or have I made a newbie blunder and missed the point completely?


    Thanks in advance!
    Yes, I fear you have missed the point

    They are spelling out that you are not an employee of the client - i.e. you will get no sick pay, holiday, training, redundancy etc, etc. No employment rights.

    However, employment status for employment purposes != employment status for tax purposes.

    You need to specifically ask about the IR35 status of the engagement, and get it in writing.

    However, you are right about IR35 insurance - you won't need it, as you will either be inside (taxes deducted) or outside with the client bearing the liability.

    Good luck!
    Last edited by mudskipper; 27th March 2017 at 06:04.

  3. #3

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    18
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    2
    Likes (Received)
    2

    Default Cl1

    You may wish to search previous posts on cl1 contracts and IR35 - most likely to be inside? Manpower substitution?

  4. #4

    Double Godlike!

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    10,093
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    180
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    638

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by John Lane View Post
    You may wish to search previous posts on cl1 contracts and IR35 - most likely to be inside? Manpower substitution?
    Absolutely bloody certain to be. If not, you're on the wrong framework...
    Blog? What blog...?

  5. #5

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,659
    Thanks (Given)
    328
    Thanks (Received)
    582
    Likes (Given)
    2196
    Likes (Received)
    2609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    Absolutely bloody certain to be. If not, you're on the wrong framework...
    The general consensus being that CL1 = Inside IR35 from April then?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  6. #6

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    Absolutely bloody certain to be. If not, you're on the wrong framework...
    Why is that? I.e. wrong framework?

    My client has deemed my role to be outside, and it is Capita CL1 contract role.

  7. #7

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,659
    Thanks (Given)
    328
    Thanks (Received)
    582
    Likes (Given)
    2196
    Likes (Received)
    2609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polagon View Post
    Why is that? I.e. wrong framework?

    My client has deemed my role to be outside, and it is Capita CL1 contract role.
    Have you had an official confirmation of determination or is it just the agency telling you?
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  8. #8

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Posts
    11
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by LondonManc View Post
    Have you had an official confirmation of determination or is it just the agency telling you?
    Not sure how official it is, but got sent it over from the client who used the new beta tool. "HMRC will stand by the result given unless a compliance check finds the information provided isnít accurate.". So unless that happens it should be fine.

  9. #9

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,659
    Thanks (Given)
    328
    Thanks (Received)
    582
    Likes (Given)
    2196
    Likes (Received)
    2609

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by polagon View Post
    Not sure how official it is, but got sent it over from the client who used the new beta tool. "HMRC will stand by the result given unless a compliance check finds the information provided isnít accurate.". So unless that happens it should be fine.
    Happy days then. Make sure you get a correctly worded confirmation together with the signed contract and away you go.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  10. #10

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    4
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mudskipper View Post
    Yes, I fear you have missed the point

    They are spelling out that you are not an employee of the client - i.e. you will get no sick pay, holiday, training, redundancy etc, etc. No employment rights.

    However, employment status for employment purposes != employment status for tax purposes.

    You need to specifically ask about the IR35 status of the engagement, and get it in writing.

    However, you are right about IR35 insurance - you won't need it, as you will either be inside (taxes deducted) or outside with the client bearing the liability.

    Good luck!
    Thanks Mudskipper - that's really helpful. I've since clarified and the client has confirmed that they consider the contract to be outside IR35 so happy days!

    And as it seems with Polagon's contract, CL1 does not necessarily equate to inside IR35, but perhaps only strongly suggests it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.