Posts 1 to 5 of 5

Nervous Newbie

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Decision to make, permie or leave public and go private

So. Time has finally come to an end....
    been contracting for public sector now for a few years, they have offered me perm (obviously massive drop) or I leave and find work in the private sector. my agency has told me that its umbrella's only after April.
    Unfortunately I only for a couple months warchest at the minute (due to an unexpected fault).

1) take perm salary, use some hol/sick pay to find a new contract. while make company dormant while find work.
    this at least trickles some money in to cover mortgage etc, but soon as find new contract, bye bye.
    2) leave next week, find alt employment/contract in private sector.

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

How are we supposed to answer that for you? Much of the decision is based on your personal circumstances which only you know.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Some things in Moderation

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It doesn't sound as if he's asking a question, more like he's just mulling over the options.

My post count is Majestic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cojak View Post
    It doesn't sound as if he's asking a question, more like he's just mulling over the options.
    Oh.. In that case...

Quote Originally Posted by vardas View Post
    So. Time has finally come
    Unless you've already got notice in and are ending in the next week with payments agreed before 5th April you could argue the time has already passed.
    1) take perm salary, use some hol/sick pay to find a new contract. while make company dormant while find work.
    You could do that but you will need to check your notice period. Also it's normally pretty difficult to get perm roles as a contractor for exactly the reasons you've mentioned.

Is this perm offer the same as the gig you are doing now? Isn't retrospective action still a problem?
    2) leave next week, find alt employment/contract in private sector.
    Finding employment won't be that straightforward as I mentioned before and the contract market could be pretty saturated with people like yourselves. It wasn't great before all this happened.

Your warchest should be a concern. Whatever you get could quite easily be pain a month in arrears so you are looking at quite possibly at least 2 months without anything coming in.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

b r

Should post faster

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Two options really, take the perm role and earn money now or leave and earn money at some point.

And based on your lack of reserves (and outgoings) it sounds like the first option is possibly your only option.

+ Reply to Thread