+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    3
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default Executive Pension Plans

    So contractors with company pension plans will now be paying tax and NI on their pension contributions?

  2. #2

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    24,780
    Thanks (Given)
    902
    Thanks (Received)
    858
    Likes (Given)
    4016
    Likes (Received)
    3469

    Default

    What the hell are you on about?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  3. #3

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    31,982
    Thanks (Given)
    129
    Thanks (Received)
    1156
    Likes (Given)
    1585
    Likes (Received)
    5440

    Default

    Oh dear oh dear.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  4. #4
    eek
    eek is offline

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    21,599
    Thanks (Given)
    216
    Thanks (Received)
    1076
    Likes (Given)
    967
    Likes (Received)
    3261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilShadrach View Post
    So contractors with company pension plans will now be paying tax and NI on their pension contributions?
    you need to give us a bit more information to explain your jumps in logic.

    You will be being paid after Employers NI has been paid by the agency (potentially from your income) and after Employees NI and income tax has been withheld and paid on your behalf by the agency.

    How your company then pays into your pension plan (for I suspect that is what you mean by an Executive Pension Plan) is an entirely separate issue but the income your company is receiving is tax deducted ready to be paid directly into your personal bank account as tax paid income.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  5. #5

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    24,780
    Thanks (Given)
    902
    Thanks (Received)
    858
    Likes (Given)
    4016
    Likes (Received)
    3469

    Default

    There is nothing stopping you joining an umbrella, joining their pension scheme and paying into that before tax and employees NI.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  6. #6
    eek
    eek is offline

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    21,599
    Thanks (Given)
    216
    Thanks (Received)
    1076
    Likes (Given)
    967
    Likes (Received)
    3261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    There is nothing stopping you joining an umbrella, joining their pension scheme and paying into that before tax and both employers and employees NI once the umbrella has deducted their fee and paid you the minimum living wage.
    FTFY
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  7. #7

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    3
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SueEllen View Post
    There is nothing stopping you joining an umbrella, joining their pension scheme and paying into that before tax and employees NI.
    True. Just as there's nothing stopping me becoming a permanent employee. Rather misses the point though.

  8. #8

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Posts
    3
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    you need to give us a bit more information to explain your jumps in logic.

    You will be being paid after Employers NI has been paid by the agency (potentially from your income) and after Employees NI and income tax has been withheld and paid on your behalf by the agency.

    How your company then pays into your pension plan (for I suspect that is what you mean by an Executive Pension Plan) is an entirely separate issue but the income your company is receiving is tax deducted ready to be paid directly into your personal bank account as tax paid income.
    Your first paragraph simply confirms what I said. I don't see any 'jumps in logic'.

    Previously payments into the pension scheme would have been made before tax and NI deductions, in future they will be made after. So effectively tax and NI are paid on the pension contributions which was not the case before. It's not an "entirely separate issue" at all. Someone did suggest that the tax may be reclaimable at a later point during self-assessment but I've no idea if this is so.

  9. #9
    eek
    eek is offline

    bored now

    eek's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    😂
    Posts
    21,599
    Thanks (Given)
    216
    Thanks (Received)
    1076
    Likes (Given)
    967
    Likes (Received)
    3261

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by NeilShadrach View Post
    Your first paragraph simply confirms what I said. I don't see any 'jumps in logic'.

    Previously payments into the pension scheme would have been made before tax and NI deductions, in future they will be made after. So effectively tax and NI are paid on the pension contributions which was not the case before. It's not an "entirely separate issue" at all. Someone did suggest that the tax may be reclaimable at a later point during self-assessment but I've no idea if this is so.
    The jumps in logic are:-

    1) My contract is now inside IR35
    2) The contract is in the public sector with tax withheld and paid on your behalf by the agency
    3) I'm going to continue using my limited company
    4) I don't have any income outside of the contract that is inside IR35

    Now the thing to remember is that all HMRC cares about - is how you are pay in tax and making sure that your income (from that inside IR35 contract) is properly taxed - they are not concerned about how your pension works - they want what they see as the correct amount of NI paid.

    Being NI of course that money is not recoverable as far as anyone can confirm but the income tax would be.

    Hence why I'm asking for more information because using a limited company for an inside IR35 contract with large pension contributions is insane. This link to a post in the umbrella section shows how much better using an umbrella in your circumstances probably would be http://forums.contractoruk.com/umbre...ributions.html
    Last edited by eek; 16th March 2017 at 14:39.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

  10. #10

    Contractor Among Contractors


    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    1,366
    Thanks (Given)
    55
    Thanks (Received)
    108
    Likes (Given)
    779
    Likes (Received)
    637

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eek View Post
    Hence why I'm asking for more information because using a limited company for an inside IR35 contract with large pension contributions is insane.
    I know we're in the Public Sector section, but just to be clear, this statement is only necessarily true for Public Sector. In the private sector it may not be true at all.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.