+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Posts 1 to 10 of 60

Thread: MoD

  1. #1

    Nervous Newbie


    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    17
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    0
    Likes (Received)
    4

    Default MoD

    Today the MoD communicated with its 'off-payroll appointees' regarding IR35 changes for the public sector. Whilst not explicit, the letter seems to imply that a contract review will be enough to satisfy them of employment status. Ideally a HMRC contract review or, alternatively, one from a 'competent person'.

    Very different line from the TfL saga.

    Is it beyond the public sector to have a coordinated response?

  2. #2

    I live on CUK

    SueEllen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    in the Park
    Posts
    21,790
    Thanks (Given)
    507
    Thanks (Received)
    566
    Likes (Given)
    3399
    Likes (Received)
    2643

    Default

    Yep - as they aren't one entity.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

  3. #3
    pjt
    pjt is offline

    Should post faster

    pjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    115
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AptoAccounting View Post
    Today the MoD communicated with its 'off-payroll appointees' regarding IR35 changes for the public sector. Whilst not explicit, the letter seems to imply that a contract review will be enough to satisfy them of employment status. Ideally a HMRC contract review or, alternatively, one from a 'competent person'.

    Very different line from the TfL saga.

    Is it beyond the public sector to have a coordinated response?
    That does sound a bit more promising. By competent person I'm assuming they mean QDOS, IPSE etc? If so then that at least allows a way out for many.

  4. #4

    Godlike


    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Location
    Non-Event Horizon
    Posts
    8,378
    Thanks (Given)
    297
    Thanks (Received)
    548
    Likes (Given)
    2128
    Likes (Received)
    2469

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AptoAccounting View Post
    Today the MoD communicated with its 'off-payroll appointees' regarding IR35 changes for the public sector. Whilst not explicit, the letter seems to imply that a contract review will be enough to satisfy them of employment status. Ideally a HMRC contract review or, alternatively, one from a 'competent person'.

    Very different line from the TfL saga.

    Is it beyond the public sector to have a coordinated response?
    Hmmm, would that include a QDOS review already conducted before the start of the engagement? Include working practices and they might actually be conceding that diligent contractors know what they're doing and are behaving like businesses.
    The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

  5. #5

    Still gathering requirements...


    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    36
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    1
    Likes (Received)
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pjt View Post
    That does sound a bit more promising. By competent person I'm assuming they mean QDOS, IPSE etc? If so then that at least allows a way out for many.
    Does that imply that the test ISNT mandatory?

    I thought it was?

    Or does a PS have the ability to say "although the test concludes that this person is inside IR35, we are deeming them outside IR35"?
    Last edited by daemon; 1st February 2017 at 14:43.

  6. #6

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,860
    Thanks (Given)
    119
    Thanks (Received)
    983
    Likes (Given)
    1510
    Likes (Received)
    5006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by AptoAccounting View Post

    Is it beyond the public sector to have a coordinated response?
    You don't understand the PS very well
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  7. #7
    pjt
    pjt is offline

    Should post faster

    pjt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Glasgow
    Posts
    115
    Thanks (Given)
    4
    Thanks (Received)
    5
    Likes (Given)
    54
    Likes (Received)
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daemon View Post
    Does that imply that the test ISNT mandatory?

    I thought it was?
    My understanding is the test is optional. I know my client has no intention of using it.

  8. #8

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,860
    Thanks (Given)
    119
    Thanks (Received)
    983
    Likes (Given)
    1510
    Likes (Received)
    5006

    Default

    Hey Apto, I can't pick some of the options on your navigation bar because your chat is at the top left and some big blue balloon comes up obscuring the first two options. HTH.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

  9. #9

    Godlike

    malvolio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Walking in the garden, dreaming of Olivia...
    Posts
    9,922
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    160
    Likes (Given)
    4
    Likes (Received)
    548

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daemon View Post
    Does that imply that the test ISNT mandatory?

    I thought it was?

    Or does a PS have the ability to say "although the test concludes that this person is inside IR35, we are deeming them outside IR35"?
    No, it isn't. The PSB has to make a determination on status: how they do it is up to them, the tool is merely there to assist (yeah, right - assist HMRC most likely...). Sounds like MOD have broken with the habits of a lifetime and made a sensible decision.
    Blog? What blog...?

  10. #10

    My post count is Majestic

    northernladuk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    30,860
    Thanks (Given)
    119
    Thanks (Received)
    983
    Likes (Given)
    1510
    Likes (Received)
    5006

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by malvolio View Post
    No, it isn't. The PSB has to make a determination on status: how they do it is up to them, the tool is merely there to assist (yeah, right - assist HMRC most likely...). Sounds like MOD have broken with the habits of a lifetime and made a sensible decision.
    If they were REALLY sensible they would now bin their dead wood, drop their rates to somewhere less than normal but just above PAYE and just pick the cream of the crop from the other agencies.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011' - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.