• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dammit - the interview went really well

Ah well, never mind - hopefully the alternative option will get its skates on and snap me up first

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

Ah well, never mind - hopefully the alternative option will get its skates on and snap me up first
      sort of well done.

At least it could be a bargaining tool

Comment

Originally posted by FiveTimes View Post
        sort of well done.

At least it could be a bargaining tool
        There's that. If I don't hear any more about the alternative by tomorrow, I could try and use it to encourage them to get moving I suppose

Comment

Afternoon all

Finally free of my shadow for the day
          "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Nice problem to have at the moment though.
            Where are we going? And what’s with this hand basket?

Comment

Originally posted by ControlG View Post
              Afternoon all

Finally free of my shadow for the day
              Hi BEL

Comment

Hi BEL
                Hi Nick

Glad that things sound to be picking up on the w*rk front

Don't agree that Yorkshire is "oop North" though, more like the Midlands where I come from
                "The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it" - George Bernard Shaw

Comment

Only 15 mins more to go.

Should be a relatively relaxing evening. No ironing to do. Did it all last night

Bottle of red left to polish off though

May even turn up on TPD and drivel for a bit

Comment

Originally posted by voodooflux View Post
                    Nice problem to have at the moment though.
                    I suppose so

Just had the pimp on the line again. Apparently the client was very impressed, and will probably be making a decision tomorrow lunchtime after seeing some other bods. He wanted to know if I'd definitely accept an offer.

I know that I'm the only candidate through his agency, so I decided to be honest and told him that there was another possibility that I was waiting to hear about, nearer home and more money. He took it pretty well, while giving me much cautionary advice about things falling through, not turning out as expected, and so forth.

Anyway, I said that if I do get offered it tomorrow, I'd like to wait until Monday before definitely accepting - hopefully the other lot really mean it when they say "ASAP". Otherwise, maybe it'll encourage this lot to up the rate slightly... though probably not

Ho hum; wait and see, wait and see...

Comment

Interesting. You should read the book Ghost and Divining Rod by T. C. Lethbridge.

I'm not saying the book's not just a load of weird nonsense about dowsing (although dating from, IIRC, 1962, it can't be accused of being "New Age"), but that feeling one sometimes gets for no apparent reason at a certain place is one of the main things he writes about in there. I came across the book in the town library in the Seventies, and found it quite intriguing. I found a copy (which I hopefully still have somewhere) in a second-hand bookshop some years later; but it's been many years since I last read it.

He was an archaeologist at Cambridge University, so he had some experience of odd places. His speculations about the reasons why a mood may come to be, in and of itself, associated with a physical place such that it transmits itself to those unwary travellers who find themselves there are very interesting. Probably nonsense, but certainly food for contemplation and speculation about those aspects of what we call "reality" that are hidden from us by the particular set of societal constructs defining the nature of "truth" and "reality" that we are heirs to.

After all, "nonsense" has to be defined in relation to some conception of what constitutes "sense"; and many cultures and civilisations have flourished over the millennia through which we moderately-clever apes have been roaming this Earth whose idea of "making sense" wasn't dependent on the maunderings of Plato, Aristotle, or Descartes.
                      Thanks, very interesting Nick. I'll keep an eye out for the book.

I'd always found such things "nonsense" but having experienced such a feeling perhaps there is something in it, after all.

Comment

Working...
                      X