• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lovely sunny day in da Hudd. Car dropped off for it's last rites MOT. Caught the bus back, just for the hell of it. Now for some WFH.

The car, to give it it's due has performed some sterling service over the last 5 years. A £5k purchase intended to tide me over for a year or two has churned out 70k miles since then, a significant number of which have been recompensed at 45p a mile, and including the 3.5k mile road trip to Spain last summer. A replacement is in the offing, but this is complicated by a pending house move - it would be handy to have a mobile skip available for tip runs. However, with a p/x value of £400 suggested by Autotrader, any significant repairs are unlikely to be worthwhile, even factoring the 2000 business miles a month it's currently doing.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
      The extras include interviews with a chap who was in Saxenhausen working as a counterfeiter, the last one then extant, at the grand old age of 90. I suspect he's not around any more.
      He's not. But only just. Died last year at the grand old age of 99.

Adolf Burger - IMDb

Comment

Weather's borked. Amber wind warning and Yellow rain warning issued too.

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          Weather's borked. Amber wind warning and Yellow rain warning issued too.
          Yup, getting the same thing here - messages of lightning strikes nearby, warnings of wind and rain, then cancellations of them.
          Currently a tad breezy but clear blue skies.
          Lovely sailing weather.
          …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Anyone used Slack? Supposed to be a messaging/communication facility to cut down on e-mails. It sends me an email everytime someone posts some crap on there I've set an outlook rule to simply delete them as they arrive, but i'm wondering if it's worth knowing about the application for use at future clients - is it any good, or just another excuse for Mr Shawadiwadi to air his inspirational posters?

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
              Anyone used Slack? Supposed to be a messaging/communication facility to cut down on e-mails. It sends me an email everytime someone posts some crap on there I've set an outlook rule to simply delete them as they arrive, but i'm wondering if it's worth knowing about the application for use at future clients - is it any good, or just another excuse for Mr Shawadiwadi to air his inspirational posters?
              We use it quite a lot.

There must be a way to set/restrict what e-mails you get have just checked and could not find anything but I am sure a google search will help you!

And we find it real useful

1) The devs have their own channel so they can chat about stuff without having to e-mail/call/walk to someone desk - useful if you have remote workers.

2) One channel gets all errors/notifications from the service being put in so it is easy to see when a problem is occurring.

etc

Obviously it requires people to use it properly and not simply ignore it like most people do with e-mail

Comment

Good stuff, thanks.

We're working cross sites so it might have merit if, as you say, it's used correctly..

Comment

Exercise - done

Class was full for once. However only 3-4 of us come back every week cos it is fecking hard.

I swear I work with some thick people. They ask the same question 10 times and expect a different answer.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    Exercise - done

Class was full for once. However only 3-4 of us come back every week cos it is fecking hard.

I swear I work with some thick people. They ask the same question 10 times and want a different answer.
                    FTFY.

If you don't get the answer you want, keep asking until you do.
                    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Car news - £800 to repair. Apparently, amongst other stuff, there's some play in my back bush

That's a whole month of mileage claim there. Still, it keeps the house renovation funds intact and with a new gig pending that relies on train transport only it should be able to do it's skip duties in peace and be replaced in spring.

Comment

Working...
                      X