• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Just got the bed settee downstairs all on my own

I was worried that the junk people would have to get it through a fairly narrow gap by my desk, where the iMac lives, so I set to work moving it nearer the door and shifting the desk back into the space opened up. By the time that was done, I figured I might as well give it a go, with the door being right there.

It needed tipping up on end to fit it through the chicane from the living room door to the flat door, and then it was a tight squeeze down the corridor, still on end, with less than half an inch of clearance on either side. Then came the fun part: down two steps to a square little landing, then down one step at ninety degrees to the corridor, to the top of the main flight at another ninety degrees; so through one hundred and eighty degrees, around a wall. It got stuck several times as I pulled and pushed it into different positions until I finally found one that let it slip through. Then I was able to slide it down the stairs while controlling it from beneath, it not being that heavy, and into the hall where it now awaits collection

They can get the fridge freezer out though

Although I do have that stair-climbing sack truck. Hmm…
    Well done on avoiding an Impossible Sofa Conundrum

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    ‘Not that I wouldn’t like to,’ said Richard. ‘It’s just that it’s stuck halfway up a long flight of stair which leads up into my flat. As far as I can make it out, the delivery men got it part way up the stairs, got it stuck, turned it around any way they could, couldn’t get it any further, and then found, curiously enough, that they couldn’t get it back down again. Now, that should be impossible.’
    Last edited by DaveB; 26 May 2017, 08:49.
    "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
      Well done on avoiding an Impossible Sofa Conundrum
      I was thinking about https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moving_sofa_problem as I wrestled with it, trying to get it round the bend

Comment

Well-earned breakfast of a sausage and bacon cob from the cob shop

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
          Zeity's off to the dentist this morning and in theory could stay in bed for another hour and a half.
          Survived being half drowned with that water pick thingie they like to use.

Teeth feeling a bit rough now but the filling I was worried a bit about didn't need replacing This Time.

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
          It's this level of detail which had me think carefully before typing 'big gun' in my original report
          HTH.

Apparently the said glocks are generally Glock 17s, which have a 17 round mag and a "trigger safety" which, apparently, is much safer than having A Proper Safety like any reasonable handgun (apart from a revolver) would.

Though in SepticLand it is famous for causing accidental discharges.
          Last edited by zeitghost; 26 May 2017, 09:21.

Comment

They can get the fridge freezer out though

Although I do have that stair-climbing sack truck. Hmm…
            Step away from the sack truck.

Comment

Step away from the sack truck.
              Yes, I've just "walked" it out of the kitchen to the flat door, and that's quite enough of that

Comment

I go months at a time without seeing the manager/landlord chap. The one day I dump a scratty old bed settee in the hall, here he is

Comment

Seems there's a fair few worries people at Client Co worrying about upcoming work post my contract finishing the end of July.

I knew they would start catching on eventually
                  The Chunt of Chunts.

Comment

I go months at a time without seeing the manager/landlord chap. The one day I dump a scratty old bed settee in the hall, here he is
                    Maybe he could give you a hand getting the fridgefreezer down the stairs.

Comment

Maybe he could give you a hand getting the fridgefreezer down the stairs.
                      He's sensible enough to pay other people to do stuff like that. I shall follow his example

Comment

Working...
                      X