• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Noticed earlier that the house next door is up for sale. Looked online and they're asking £475K for it as a going concern.

Apparently it's split into nine bedsits. Nine!

Our place is split into five flats. They're all of decent size, though mine is the largest; and mine and the one above me on the top floor (which is less roomy because of being immediately under the roof) are the only ones with a separate bedroom, the others being studios with bathrooms and kitchens. But the way it's been done makes perfect use of the space - three floors makes three flats at the front, and two floors makes two flats in the section extending from the back at right angles to the bulk of the house. Next door is exactly the same ground plan and structure, just a mirror image.

Quite how you'd manage to divvy the space up so as to fit nine separate bedsits in, I'm really not sure
    Cos it makes as much money as possible.

Lots of landlords are getting rid of properties due to the tax changes.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Chinese for dinner

And in an unprecedented turn of events, I've decided I'm not going to bother going to the pub, despite it being my birthday. Apart from anything else, the usual place is closed awaiting a new lessee, and I can't be bothered with any of the alternatives. SoI shall watch a film or two with a couple of bottles of ale in the comfort of my own armchair
      I've not been out in Leicester in a little while - had a quick pint in the Globe the other week.

Last I heard the Charlotte was shut, Criterion was open again and the Salmon has gone a bit downhill since the new brewery took over. How are things down your end of town NF?

Comment

I see that in General, specifically, things haven't improved overmuch.

There seems to be a surfeit of new idiots.

WTF did "Front2Back" come from?

Yet another sockie?

Certainly offensive enough.

Spent the afternoon painting more of the floor of the shed.

Bits of it will require another couple of coats.

Other bits can stay as they are.

The sheer excitement of my existence knows few bounds, it must be said.

I'm sure if I suffered a surfeit of excitement, I might pass away in the manner of King John, though with fewer lampreys.

Thhis evening's entertainment comprised Doctor Who, followed by a thing about tanks in WWII on BBC4, followed by the Oz customs thing, the entertainment value of which last was increased by the Vietnamese gentleman with half a kilo of heroin up his arse, no wonder he was a bit twitchy, followed by some curious programme on the Travel channel about Lasseter's Reef in Oz, which was mildly entertaining in its way at 22:00 or so on a tedious Saturday evening.
        Last edited by zeitghost; 22 April 2017, 22:30.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

Yet another sockie?

I'm sure if I suffered a surfeit of excitement, I might pass away in the manner of King John, though with fewer lampreys.
          There are at least three regular and tedious sockies in there who have been warmed up fairly slowly. The sockie master really needs to stop using female personas from the South West though.

I try not to venture in there too much, and with a General Election on the way I presume it will only become more toxic.

Comment

And now TFBSZ.

Knackered now. CovBaby II is fine and gurgling away after her feed. CovToddler on the other hand has been hyper all day, won't listen to a word anyone says. Nearly got himself run over this evening running away from us.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              Cos it makes as much money as possible.
              Indeed; I know why they did it. I just find it hard to work out how they did it

Our place is divvied up, as is obvious by things like the ornate cornices in my flat that run into a wall and reappear on the other side (though at least they put the partition in around them, rather than cutting through them). I suspect they must have shared bathrooms, as it seems like it would be physically impossible to provide separate facilities to all nine bedsits

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

Yet another sockie?

Thhis evening's entertainment comprised Doctor Who, followed by a thing about tanks in WWII on BBC4, followed by the Oz customs thing, the entertainment value of which last was increased by the Vietnamese gentleman with half a kilo of heroin up his arse, no wonder he was a bit twitchy, followed by some curious programme on the Travel channel about Lasseter's Reef in Oz, which was mildly entertaining in its way at 22:00 or so on a tedious Saturday evening.
                Just had a look and jeez, what a F2B is.

Tonight I watched Full Metal Jacket, which I must have watched some time in the 1990s, as I remembered various bits of it. This was followed by Mr & Mrs Smith which isn't anything like as clever as it thinks it is, but has a large number of guns and explosions, presumably to try to distract from this fact

On Friday night I watched Passengers, which was quite good, though I can see why a lot of people were quite annoyed by certain aspects of the story; though as others said, the creepy behaviour of the male protagonist is kind of the point. After that I watched Equity starring Anna Gunn, of Skyler White fame, as a Wall Street investment banker involved in tech company IPOs being betrayed by her variously corrupt and dim (or both) colleagues and friends, which I thought was very good if you like that kind of thing

Goodnight all

Comment

Chinese for dinner

And in an unprecedented turn of events, I've decided I'm not going to bother going to the pub, despite it being my birthday. Apart from anything else, the usual place is closed awaiting a new lessee, and I can't be bothered with any of the alternatives. SoI shall watch a film or two with a couple of bottles of ale in the comfort of my own armchair
                  Happy Birthday for yesterday!

Up early for the ride today, having been drawn into watching Layer Cake last night until far later than can be considered be wise for a 5:00am alarm.
                  "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Morning all
                    …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Grey and dull here, and that's just me.

Can't decide what to have for lunch since I've failed to take anything out of the freezer.

There is some breast of lamb with stuffing in the fridge, so maybe I should have that.

Comment

Working...
                      X