• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Oh good, I was beginning to think my eyes had gone funny.

I don't know what it's advertising since it's so fecking annoying I ignored it all.
    I think I half-noticed the title on the ad when the page first loaded, but I'd forgotten it by the time I closed the tab

Comment

The quest to get this small shelf unit up on the kitchen wall continues <- shelf unit is not in fact a CRT monitor, but this smilie is the closest one to me doing DIY

Having assembled the thing I bought some spring toggles from the hardware shop over the road. They were fairly sizeable, and I ended up deciding they were actually too big given there's to be two holes not far apart for each bracket, so I ordered some other ones off Amazon last night: smaller, but big enough to do the job.

They arrived earlier, so I got everything measured and the wall marked up. Then I got the drill, and found its battery was very nearly flat

While that's charging, I've seen on the packet for the spring toggles that they need 14mm holes. I popped over to the hardware shop but the best he had was a 12.5mm bit. I got that, figuring it'll be easy enough to widen the holes slightly for the essentially square profile of the spring toggles when they're pushed through.

It's too big for my drill

So I'm going to make a few small holes which can easily be whittled into one. But not yet, because the drill battery is charging, and will be for some time
      Last edited by NickFitz; 22 April 2017, 15:48.

Comment

It is a law (of physics & DIY), universally understood, that any battery shall be found to be totally discharged when required for use.

The only drill that doesn't follow this universal law is the ancient Hitachi drill in work, which has two batteries, one of which will have sufficient charge to start a job whilst the other is busily being charged.

The rather curious B&D cells in the other drill in work have long ago died completely, despite my best efforts at resurrection.

Comment

It's up!

The battery didn't need to recharge much, as it's not hard drilling through plasterboard, and it maintained enough charge for me to be able to make the four squareish holes needed, each expanded from four initial holes by pushing the drill around.

Now my tea, coffee, salt, vinegar, and other such things that don't weigh much and that you want handy but don't need to have on the worktop all the time, all have somewhere to live

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post

The only drill that doesn't follow this universal law is the ancient Hitachi drill in work, which has two batteries, one of which will have sufficient charge to start a job whilst the other is busily being charged.
            yes love my Hitachi drill 2 batteries & change out of a hundred quid. Best drill I have ever had. (used to have a Makita which was OKish and a B&D which was a nice colour).
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I've done feck all today.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                I've done feck all today.
                Splendid!

Comment

The bluebell wood walk then turned into a drive to get more dog food. While buying that, The Wife (tm) remembered that her sister was taking part in a horse trial near Godalming. Spent most of the day there.
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Chinese for dinner

And in an unprecedented turn of events, I've decided I'm not going to bother going to the pub, despite it being my birthday. Apart from anything else, the usual place is closed awaiting a new lessee, and I can't be bothered with any of the alternatives. SoI shall watch a film or two with a couple of bottles of ale in the comfort of my own armchair

Comment

Noticed earlier that the house next door is up for sale. Looked online and they're asking £475K for it as a going concern.

Apparently it's split into nine bedsits. Nine!

Our place is split into five flats. They're all of decent size, though mine is the largest; and mine and the one above me on the top floor (which is less roomy because of being immediately under the roof) are the only ones with a separate bedroom, the others being studios with bathrooms and kitchens. But the way it's been done makes perfect use of the space - three floors makes three flats at the front, and two floors makes two flats in the section extending from the back at right angles to the bulk of the house. Next door is exactly the same ground plan and structure, just a mirror image.

Quite how you'd manage to divvy the space up so as to fit nine separate bedsits in, I'm really not sure

Comment

Working...
                      X