• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking with tradition by not going to the Chinese tonight. Not because of frog fat, but I had a sausage-bacon-egg baguette late in the afternoon, and I'm not hungry enough now to eat a full meal

Comment

Just licked the chutney spoon
      Last edited by DaveB; 25 March 2017, 21:57.
      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

How nice was it today? Even a tad warm in the sun.

That'll be it for Spring, with a mild day on 28th July for Summer. Enjoy it while you can.

Still, I managed to finish the veg bed, looks decent and even give the grass a trim.

Knackered now mind. And an hour down tomorrow I'll be shattered all week.

qh
        He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
          How nice was it today? Even a tad warm in the sun.

That'll be it for Spring, with a mild day on 28th July for Summer. Enjoy it while you can.

Still, I managed to finish the veg bed, looks decent and even give the grass a trim.

Knackered now mind. And an hour down tomorrow I'll be shattered all week.

qh
          It seemed nice enough that I'm sorry I missed a chunk of it, and was unable to really appreciate the rest due to being quite hungover

Not only do we lose an hour overnight, it also coincides with one of the only times all year that I have to go anywhere on a Sunday - we're having a family get-together for Mother's Day, so I have to be on the road south at a time when, under the benevolent rule of GMT, I'd be idly contemplating the notion of opening my eyes for a first look at the morning

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            It seemed nice enough that I'm sorry I missed a chunk of it, and was unable to really appreciate the rest due to being quite hungover

Not only do we lose an hour overnight, it also coincides with one of the only times all year that I have to go anywhere on a Sunday - we're having a family get-together for Mother's Day, so I have to be on the road south at a time when, under the benevolent rule of GMT, I'd be idly contemplating the notion of opening my eyes for a first look at the morning
            Me and the wife for previous three saturdays have enjoyed some wine then the bourbon as you do , whilst enjoying Mad Men (season 3, we take our time).

Not tonight, we are getting old. Off to bed now.

qh
            He had a negative bluety on a quackhandle and was quadraspazzed on a lifeglug.

I look forward to your all knowing and likely sarcastic and unhelpful reply.

Comment

Originally posted by quackhandle View Post
              Me and the wife for previous three saturdays have enjoyed some wine then the bourbon as you do , whilst enjoying Mad Men (season 3, we take our time).

Not tonight, we are getting old. Off to bed now.

qh
              Sweet dreams

Comment

The episode of "Bones" creaked towards its inevitable conclusion.

Her acting, such as it is after 12 years, is increasingly irritating and I'm only watching since I want to see the dot at the end of the series.

This evening's ep of "Abandoned Engineering" on Yesterday was all about abandoned bridges, including the Goat Canyon Trestle, which, being in Septicland, has, by very definition, to be the biggest wooden trestle built on a curve in the world.

I somehow suspect that there are very few other wooden trestle bridges built elsewhere, curved or otherwise.

It's on some obscure railway line from San Diego and for reasons of gradient, it passes through parts of mexico on its journey to the east.

As is usual with such epics, dear old Adolph had built some ferro concrete bridge somewhere in Chechoslovakia which also got featured, along with a steel bridge in Pennsylvania that got blown down by a tornado, and some weird freeway bridge that never got built in Capetown.

All vaguely interesting in a slightly drunk Saturday evening with nothing else to watch sort of way.

Oddly, the bit about the failure of the Pennsylvania bridge alleges that wrought iron cannot be used in tension, which is untrue according to

https://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/111770

It's cast iron that cannot be used in tension, indeed wrought iron was used in tension quite frequently in suspension bridges, since steel wasn't available at the time.

Plainly someone didn't know wtf they were talking about.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kinzua_Bridge

Rebuilt out of steel using the original foundation bolts, which failed when the tornado hit.

https://web.archive.org/web/20110610.../body/012.html

Fatigue failure and ductile failure of the wrought iron bolts.
                Last edited by zeitghost; 25 March 2017, 23:18.

Comment

TFBSZ
                  …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

It seems quite early, but it isn't really

Goodnight all

Comment

Morning all

Whose silly idea was it to change the clocks?
                      "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Working...
                      X