• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had the rest of the must-be-used-now pâté for lunch, on a toasted wholemeal roll

I was going to have a steak bake, but unfortunately I remembered the pâté had to be eaten

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Had the rest of the must-be-used-now pâté for lunch, on a toasted wholemeal roll

I was going to have a steak bake, but unfortunately I remembered the pâté had to be eaten
      Thankfully Gregg's bakes have never been a temptation for me unlike doughnuts...
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post
        Thankfully Gregg's bakes have never been a temptation for me unlike doughnuts...
        I was quite pleased to find that having them in the freezer wasn't as much of a temptation as I'd expected it to be - though I think I need to pop in to Iceland to get some more chicken ones soon

I don't think they do doughnuts in frozen form, and I doubt they'd work that way anyway, so I have to do the three-hundred-yard trek up past the traffic lights if I want those

Comment

mmm lamb heart paprikash almost 50p for dinner !
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I was quite pleased to find that having them in the freezer wasn't as much of a temptation as I'd expected it to be - though I think I need to pop in to Iceland to get some more chicken ones soon

I don't think they do doughnuts in frozen form, and I doubt they'd work that way anyway, so I have to do the three-hundred-yard trek up past the traffic lights if I want those
            All the Icelands near me have closed down. Clearly the area is too posh to have Iceland but not to have Wilko, Aldi and Lidl.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
              All the Icelands near me have closed down. Clearly the area is too posh to have Iceland but not to have Wilko, Aldi and Lidl.
              The Iceland by me was the culmination of a long history of refused planning permission for that site. It had been a filling station and second hand car sales place for years, but that was refused planning permission to expand its repair facilities into the residential street on the corner of which the plot stands, and faced with competition from two more petrol stations within a hundred yards it closed down around the end of the 1980s. Then there were various proposed usages. At one time in the early to mid 1990s there was a planning application for a McDonalds there, but permission for the drive-through component was refused because it would have entailed exiting onto the residential street, not to mention the potential for tailbacks on the main road.

Finally the proposal for the Iceland store was made, and subject to various controls on when lorries can deliver (which fairly often results in lorry drivers having to sleep in their cabs round the back of it so they can offload and be away before rush hour) and a restriction on the size and illumination of the sign at the front of the car park, they made it through the planning process.

The place always seems to be pretty busy so I don't imagine they've ever considered closing it.

Also, the car park seems to be used regularly by some of the ladies who work in the massage parlour over the road; I don't know if there's any kind of formal arrangement for this between the two businesses, or if they get away with it by popping in for a bag of frozen chips at the end of their shift

Comment

the massage parlour over the road

You've kept that quiet

Comment

Originally posted by barrydidit View Post

You've kept that quiet
                  Pretty sure I've mentioned it some time. I've definitely mentioned the one up the road by the bookshop, though that finally closed down a year or so ago and is now an accident lawyer's place (so still shafting people one way or the other). And I think I've mentioned the one further down towards the Chinese next door to the former Menphys charity shop, and possibly the one after that, near the post office

Comment

Pretty sure I've mentioned it some time. I've definitely mentioned the one up the road by the bookshop, though that finally closed down a year or so ago and is now an accident lawyer's place (so still shafting people one way or the other). And I think I've mentioned the one further down towards the Chinese next door to the former Menphys charity shop, and possibly the one after that, near the post office
                    Bloody hell, it sounds like Soho. I'm surprised that Iceland want to be seen in such an enclave

Comment

Sounds a bit like our area - one of the back streets has a "massage parlour" but if you walk along the main road you can see red lights on in several of the upstairs windows.

Comment

Working...
                      X