• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Mass egress of the permies - they’re having a barbecue in, bizarrely, the car park of ClientCo’s data centre over in a nearby town

And a busy day for me, as of about half an hour ago. A feature I worked on last August, which had never been incorporated into the version of the thing used in production by the admin people because it didn’t seem urgent to include it, has suddenly become urgent for various reasons

But as all this stuff gets specified on the basis of “They’ll probably want it to do something like…” it is, of course, not quite, or even much, what is needed. So I need to take the bits and re-engineer them into something that integrates in a completely different way with the rest of the system, hopefully without breaking the existing functionality as they’ll need that later. Deadline: this afternoon

No biggie

Anyway, I’m not letting that get between me and lunch. Another beef sarnie and crisps today
    Indeed the Vendor today challenged my 3 month old suggestion of adding a pre-process script to check the user supplied & saved on a share (FFS) files were in the right place & format, he thought it was "too much work" funnily enough the user came in & complained because the files were wrong. I expect to see this in the next sprint! Its nice when I'm right
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Tonight's repast has been in the French vein: boeuf bourguignon, croquettes, and petits pois

The beef was cooked and frozen back in late November, according to the label I'd affixed to the lid.
      chicken Madras & Bombay Potatoes from the reduced Aisle after Miss V Senior's very successful parents evening. Apparently the Brains only skipped my generation.

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
        A question (or two) for Doctor Love...
        I have 4 old solar mole repellers, where water has got into them and the batteries are rusted (they all have 1 or 2x AA size 600mAh batteries). I suspect the circuits have gone pop too. But I'm looking at the solar panels and thinking that they are probably still OK.

1. Do you think I can just stick a fluke across the terminals and what sort of voltage would I be looking at?
        2. If they work, should I wire them in parallel or in series?
        3. Any fun projects I could do with them?

I've got a solar panel controller, but it's designed for 12/24V, 10/20A so I suspect these things aren't going to kick out enough to even light an LED on it.
        don't be such a tightwad, buy some cheap solar panels!

Comment

Didn't watch any telly tonight, apart from some surgery while I ate, as I felt too tired and was going to get an early night. Then I ended up staying up reading

Goodnight all

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            No idea why, happened long ago (some looks Victorian), but my garden is full of broken glass and china. Certainly keeps the moles away.
            So was ours, in places. Possibly due to the house being owned by a doctor way back then, who would also have been the pharmacist/dispenser/etc. A lot of the broken stuff in ours looks like it could belong in a chemistry set.
            …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              don't be such a tightwad, buy some cheap solar panels!
              I've got some solar panels (not allowed to put any on our house), such as for topping up the car battery or lighting The Wife's (tm) new shed, this was more about playing with ones that should just be thrown away (and now are)

Comment

Buggeration. Having finished work then driven down to the South West last night (fun drive in The Toy), I got an email around 9pm to say that a piece of work wasn't doing what it should. It has been broken for a couple of weeks and yesterday I'd worked out the cause (when the devs & tech team couldn't work it out). Fix was put in by tech team (eventually) and I ran a test which looked OK. Client said no, it was still wrong.
                I woke up about two hours ago and my mind was working through the problem. I couldn't get back to sleep. About an hour ago I worked it out, and thought "great, I can sort this in the morning at least temporarily, now back to sleep"... 15 minutes later "I think that will work, can't sleep until I check it"

...it works. I'm off to bed again.

Comment

Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
                  One hesitates to ask what weapon the bunny killer is using.

Presumably something that doesn't need a BDC on the sight.
                  No need for BDC, it is .22 with an AO mil dot scope. It's claiming manual adjustment is 1 click = 1/4" at 100yds, so with a bit of practice I should be spot on.

Comment

Morning denizens

Sunny start to bin day

Comment

Morning all Clear blue skies here, but with a sea mist far enough out not to affect anything other than the view of Portland.

Comment

Working...
                      X