• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

test please delete

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home, and weekend!

The usual nonsense on the way home, and a bonus holdup over the last couple of miles. Ho hum; home now

Nine days. Three weeks. 1,260 miles

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      And a busy day for me, as of about half an hour ago. A feature I worked on last August, which had never been incorporated into the version of the thing used in production by the admin people because it didn’t seem urgent to include it, has suddenly become urgent for various reasons

But as all this stuff gets specified on the basis of “They’ll probably want it to do something like…” it is, of course, not quite, or even much, what is needed. So I need to take the bits and re-engineer them into something that integrates in a completely different way with the rest of the system, hopefully without breaking the existing functionality as they’ll need that later. Deadline: this afternoon
      Turned out I'd done quite a decent job last summer, as it didn't take much to get the new and urgently-needed functionality in there without breaking any of the existing stuff

Comment

One hesitates to ask what weapon the bunny killer is using.

Presumably something that doesn't need a BDC on the sight.

The builders are currently ripping out the firegrate & oven from the house.

My Grandfather purchased said firegrate in 1948 and I found the receipt for it on the spike a couple of months ago.

I think it was £25 or somesuch outrageous price.
        When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

On the subject of solar panels I managed to run over one of Mrs B's solar garden lights earlier. From the wreckage I salvaged the circuit board with the light, a rechargeable battery and the attached solar panel. Just need to figure out what to do with them now.
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
            …a bonus holdup over the last couple of miles.
            Ah - football

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post
              Decided to scrap the solar panel idea, for now.

Instead, the esteemed tech team have failed to do work today or answer emails/phone calls, so when I was supposed to be in a meeting with them, nothing happened. I decided to take a lunch break.
              The rabbit which has started to appear in our garden was nibbling on grass. I felt it was time to get rid of it. Line it up dead centre on the sight. Exhale. Squeeze. Miss. Rabbit jumps away, disgusted.
              Then I remember that I haven't dialled in the sight yet.
              Spent half an hour dialling in. Worked out I probably missed the rabbit by about 1m short and 75cm to the left. Now dialled in and I should be able to take out his eyeball at 30m.
              Or to put it into more realistic terms, that's the equivalent of hitting a 700x25C tyre as it comes towards you at around 120m.
              doesn't the wobbling around the potholes make it more challenging?

Comment

I have 4 old solar mole repellers
                No idea why, happened long ago (some looks Victorian), but my garden is full of broken glass and china. Certainly keeps the moles away.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Tonight's repast has been in the French vein: boeuf bourguignon, croquettes, and petits pois

The beef was cooked and frozen back in late November, according to the label I'd affixed to the lid.

Comment

Busy out as the football people head home. I just popped up to the Amazon Locker (James Comey's book arrived today), but I went via the back alley which comes out just opposite the back of the garage forecourt, so I didn't have to mingle with them

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      No idea why, happened long ago (some looks Victorian), but my garden is full of broken glass and china. Certainly keeps the moles away.
                      pikey neighbour's grandfather?
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X